Kindergarden and summer birthdays

My Daughters Birthday lands on August 15th at the almost deadline date. Her preschool teacher says she is very ready for kindergarden next year. But i was wondering anyone with kids with birthdays in the summer. What are you doing? are you putting your child through kindergarden or are you holding them back other year?

LOVE_mygirls58

Asked by LOVE_mygirls58 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter's birthday is late July. I sent her. It was fine at first, but it became a problem later. I wish I had waited. My son has an August birthday, and I will definitely be holding him out one year. Depending on where you live, it may be very common for kids to be held out a year. Where my friend lives she held her son out one year and he is still one of the younger ones in his class (I think this is just crazy)!

See if you can make an appointment with a kindergarten teacher at the school your DD will attend and ask what they think.
    Anonymous

• Luckily my son was born in October so as a parent I don't have to worry about that, however, I have a summer birthday and I personally wished that my parents had waited. Not only was I one of the youngest kids in class, but it always seemed if I was struggling a bit in school. This could have been just me though. Only you know if your daughter is ready academically and socially. What state do you live in? I can find an online link to your state's standards. This will show you what they will be learning in Kindergarten and maybe help you decide if she is ready or not.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Why would you want to hold your child back when they are ready.
    Anonymous

• My son was born August 17th. He started school a few days after his fifth birthday.

In the beginning, we wished we'd kept him back a year because he is younger than everyone else and he was having some behavioral problems. But the school got those problems narrowed down to Asperger's Syndrome. Had he not been in school, I think we'd have gone at least another year with not figuring things out.

So...absolutely NO regrets about starting him when we did.

BTW...I was born 8/23 and started right after my 5th birthday...no issues.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my son turned 5 in July, and started school in September. He had already had 2 full years of preschool and was very ready for kindergarden. He is the youngest in his class, but he is definately not behind. If your child is ready, please don't hold him/her back. Children thrive on learning .
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We live in WI. And i am only asking because i have heard lots of ppl that put their kids in when they were ready but struggled later on in school but some were fine i am just asking for more of opinons
    LOVE_mygirls58

Answer by LOVE_mygirls58 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My DD's birthday is August 25, and she WILL be starting Kindergarten at the age of 5. I see no reason to hold her back.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My oldest has a late June birthday and went to kindergarten the year she turned 5. She was ready. She's in 4th grade now and one of the youngest kids in her class (she won't be 10 until after the end of the year while most of her friends are already 10, meaning she will be 17 when she graduates high school). She gets along great with the other kids and school is mostly a breeze for her (except math...she hates math). She is the smallest in her class, though. That's just because she's a small kid. She's only 4' tall and 45lbs. Most of the 3rd graders and a lot of the 2nd graders are bigger then her. Her classmates tower over her by several inches to a foot (we have really tall 10 year olds around here).
    No regrets. My youngest will be born this July and we will decide what to do with that one when the time comes but most likely he/she will start after turning 5 like my oldest.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2010