sick 3 week old, help plz?

I just had my baby 3 weeks and 3 days ago and he has a cold already and i feel so bad for him because there is nothing i can give him to make him better and i was just wondering what everyone else did when there young one was sick and there was nothing u could give them?

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 4:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a cool-mist humidifier to keep the air moist, that should help break up some of his congestion.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Johnson and Johnson makes a creamy vaporub for babies, which I had to use on my kids when they were really little. Use a booger bulb often. Use a clean warm wash rag to wipe any dry boogies away. Keep his eyes clean, and if he sounds like he's wheezing, even if you think it may be nothing, I would either make an emergency visit with the pediatrician or take him to the pediatric emergency room. Hope he feels better soon, Mama.
    Anonymous

• you can also use a saline spray or saline drops in the nose. They hate it, but if you use that and then suction it out with the bulb thing, it helps keep the nasal passages and sinuses clear so he can breathe. Poor little guy. Also you should keep his head elevated as much as you can -- holding him on your chest, or on a bouncer, in a carseat, in a swing, whatever makes him comfortable.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Nurse instead of giving bottles of BM if you are BF -- breast is easier than bottles when they're congested because the warmth of your chest will help their nose clear some, if baby cannot nurse or gasps for air cause their nose is stuffy go in the bathroom and steam up the bathroom a TON and then nurse them, if you're bottlefeeding you can use the bathroom steam trick too, keep baby in a semi-upright position often, don't over-use the bulb syringe it can cause nasal swelling, hold baby a ton -- your touch is healing and de-stressing to the baby and will promote healing, and a vaporizer at night in your/babies bedroom will do wonders. Do not use regular vicks vaporub on a baby til they are 2 years old it is linked with breathing difficulty and with kidney failure. Do not use baby vaporub on the baby's chest younger than what the package says - you can put baby rub on your skin where it won't touch baby's skin, though.
    Anonymous

• do not take that baby out of the house no more and do not let other kids around this baby! They say it is best to keep your baby in the house and away from other children if possible until the are 3 months old. This gives there immune system time to develope. Poor baby. Realy should be sick so young.
    Anonymous

• You need to take your baby to the dr. I thought my 7 week old just had a little cold. I took her to the dr and they tested her mucus and it came back positive for RSV. She was hospitalized the next day due to low oxygen levels. You need to get your baby seen by the dr and have her oxygen levels checked. When babies this young get congested they have a tough time getting all the oxygen they need. My baby was on oxygen for 4 hours and then given breathing treatments. After 30 hours she was released from the hospital but we still have to do breathing treatments at home.

Any time a baby gets sick before their 2 month old vaccines, they should be seen by their dr. Even the tiniest virus can be serious in a newborn.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Oh and no, no, no to the vapor rub....even the one for infants. My pediatrician says no vicks on the body or even in the air for babies under 3 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I was not aware babyrub in the air was a contraindiction in babies under 3 months. I know they're not supposed to have it on their chests and regular vicks is linked to kidney failure and to breathing difficulties -- but I didn't think this extended to babyrub.

Why before the 2 month vaccinations?? I think just plain before about 6 months if they're really sick and having trouble breathing through their nose constantly it is a good idea to take them to the doctor. If you can get their nose cleared for lengthy periods of time I do not see how this would be as big an issue. I also know that O2 levels are known to drop when babies are not touching their mothers skin. Skin to skin mama.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeed as much as possible. You need to make sure that your baby is staying hydrated. If you see a decrease in wet diapers, take him to the doctor immediately. I would definitely get him to a doctor regardless if you haven't been yet. Hope he is better soon!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yes, I was also told no vicks by my pediatrician. He says it's only a matter of time before Vicks for infants/babies gets recalled. We used saline drops and then sucked the mucus out. We also used an infant sleep positioner so that she was at a better angle when she slept and not flat on her back. As long as she doesn't have a high fever and is acting normal and eating she is ok.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2010