Obama’s challenge: Anger is replacing hope / President’s message is changing in concession to public disillusionment

WASHINGTON - Thrust into office on the veracity of hope, President Barack Obama is trying to get himself on the right side of a remarkably different national sentiment these days: anger.

Obama's expansive domestic goals are largely the same, but his message is changing, now constructed around a concession that the public is disillusioned and wanting results. If he cannot show people that he understands their frustration and is working to fix it, the risks are real.

All that angst that Obama wants to harness as a force for change — as he did in his campaign — will turn against him. That means eroding public support for his agenda and potentially big losses for his party this year in congressional midterm elections.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35406790/ns/politics-white_house/

Do you think public anger will turn people against the Democratic party and agenda?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 4:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think he already has turned a lot of democrats against him and his agenda. I know lifelong democrats that don't like his agenda or the direction he is going. But that's just my own experience with the Dems I know.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think the realization that the dem party has been hijacked by the progressives will.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• He had the supermajority for the past year, yet he's STILL blaming Bush and Republicans/conservatives and moderate Democrats for his FAILURE to get the job done--including advancing his agenda! LOL

So now that his own party is turning their collective backs on him, or jumping ship, he's going to further alienate people by being angry?! Is he even trying to finish a full-term as President?! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree with Quinn and Carpy, he is not a Dem, his administration is a whole group of progressives and they did hijack the Dem, party under false pre-tenses. The change and promises he made, have all turned out to be broken promises or just plain out lies...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Is he even trying to finish a full-term as President?!

We can only pray not! ;p
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Lori, we can only hope he will quit, eh?

Nah, he is too arrogant he will stand tall with his nose turned up at us and defend h/c, c&t forever! I hope I'm wrong but I think he will ram them thru, if there is any way possible...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I copied you tnmom, LOL!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 5:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

Part of the problem is a lot of casual observers don't realize there are segments of the Dem party that don't agree on anything. The Progressives think anyone more moderate than they are are DINOs and the moderates think the Progressives are a rare fringe instead of the pervasive virus they really are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• by:

* agentwanda

agent...
    I copied you tnmom, LOL!
    ------

Ooooh, you better watch that, agentwanda, LOL!
    Or is it that great minds think alike!! (I like that better, LOL)

I tend to think of the progressives as more of a parasite, but virus will do just as well!
    I think the anger of the American people will turn against the Dems, as well as RINO's, it has already begun. I just don't understand how the man can honestly think that the anger of the people stems from us NOT understanding him, or from whatever Bush did/didn't do. It doesn't matter what the problem is, he cannot see anything as HIS fault. If something doesn't work out as planned, well, it isn't because he was WRONG.

How can someone be THAT ARROGANT? His arrogance is what will turn people against him.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• His arrogance is what will turn people against him.

NO-the state of the economy, lack of family supporting jobs will /has turned average Americans against Obama. The rest is just peripheral crap. THIS has little to do with the man, and much more to do with the condition of our country. It's only the few that believe otherwise. (Yes, all 10 of you ladies).

Anonymous