What's another remedy besides saline water?

My baby is 9mth old she been with a cold for the last 2 wks, I took her to her doctor when she was starting to get sick and she got that h1n1 vaccine I'm thinking that made the cold worst it was going away but now its starting again (it can be change of weather) and I'm really wandering if there's anything besides saline water that can help her...

Cici09

Asked by Cici09 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it changes with the weather it may be allergies, ask the Dr what yiou can give her for that. All my kids have winter and spring allergies and it sounds just like what you are saying. But otherwise, if there isnt a fever, just the saline, and a humidifier would help too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Saline nasal spray and sucking out the mucus with a bulb syringe. Also run a humidifier or vaporizor in her bedroom and take her in the bathroom to breath in the steam from a hot running shower. That's about all you can do for a LO so young. My 7 week old has RSV right now and that's what we're doing.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You're not actually supposed to get babies vaccinated when they are ill and doctors are not supposed to give them to ill patients because active vaccinations are especially known to cause the illness they are vaccinating for -- and high fevers -- in people when they are already ill with something... But that is beside the point.

You can use steam (steam up the bathroom making sure baby can not touch the hot water and never leave unattended, get a humidifier for overnight and put it somewhere where baby cannot touch it), you can use vicks baby rub on her chest - it will help clear her nose, you can give ibuprofen/tylenol per package instructions, but otherwise no you cannot give her anything other than saline drops.

Anonymous

• i got my humidifier at the goodwill for 1.99 green tag- so .99 cents and it helps tremendously! also try breastmilk up the nose and use the boppy to prop baby up while sleeping
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Another thing is if her cold was going away and is now starting again.. it may be a secondary infection.

I'd take her to the doctor. And no vaccinations of any sort at this visit!!
    Anonymous

• staciandbaby.. I do hope you thoroughly - thoroughly washed that humidifier out with vinegar and boiling water. Old humidifiers are known to start growing nasty molds and eventually grow bacteria over time -- yes I'm talking about hot humidifiers. Cold humidifiers are even worse about this and you should clean them daily or they start growing all sorts of nasty bugs and molds.
    Anonymous

• Put a pillow under baby's mattress so that the mattress is on an incline. Sleeping this way will help her nose drain at night. Steam bath with Jonhson's vapor bath before bed will help clear out her nose. Breast milk drops in the nose. Ibprofen is an anti inflammatory and will help reduce swelling in the nasal passages for a better nights sleep. My doctor okay's 1/4 teaspoon of benadryl at this age to help dry up the mucous (but benadryl can have varying effects on babies...it might not actually help her sleep it could do the opposite).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Thx evryone I started the vaporizer 2dys ago, and yes I personally knew that no person no matter what age shouldnt get vacc when they sick but the Dr went ahead and gave them 2 her right after her checkup. How's that works with the breastmilk can you guys explain it 2 me plz...
    Cici09

Answer by Cici09 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2010