what is a positive about the Catholic Church?

I know many don't agree with the Catholic Church or its teachings. What is something good you can say about Catholics, the church or charities?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 4:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In general could say I like the people, and I like the respect they have for God. I think if you study the rules many of them have a valuable lesson but if you do them just because they are rules then they will mean nothing. Ex. Giving up something for Lent- If u do it cause they told u its what you are supposed to do i u learn nothing. If You do it as a sacrifice and when you think of having that soda it causes you to think of Jesus and the sacrifice he made for us then it is beneficial.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• ART and MUSIC!!

Some of the most beautiful music from the likes of Bach, Beethoven, and Handel, was composed for the Church.

Some of the most beautiful paintings and sculptures were done for the Church.

And don't get me started of breath-taking beautiful cathedrals...with the big beautiful pipe organs!!

(Again...as a former Catholic, I have nothing against the Church...it just was not for ME!)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Whats positive about Catholics?
    My grandmother. She was the most accepting, tolerant, loving, caring, devout catholic I have ever known. She never, ever uttered a bad word about anyone....she never batted an eyelash at my sister being gay and even said to me, "I don't understand why it's such a big deal to other people."
    She exemplified what it means to have a PERSONAL relationship with her God....and it's b/c of her that I respect catholics.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Well Katty, I like your cute kitty pic.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have to go with MamaK88 here. The music (though the church I now attend has great music as well) and the artwork. Though I may no longer be a Catholic, I would love to visit the Cathedrals of Europe. The pictures I have seen are simply breath-taking.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 4:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You know sahmamax2, I don't understand why many people think so much of it either. Sure there are the "rules" but there is also accepting and loving our neighbor. I have a few family members and friends that are openly gay and go to Mass. I even sit next to them and never been hit with lighting. Although one time my grandma did yell at me for talking. Her wrath can feel like the force of lighting.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 5:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• other than praising the Lord, and thanking God for giving us his only Son, just like other Christian religions?
    well, it is very rich in history and tradition. you can count on the church, and you can take great comfort in the traditions.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The emphasis that is put on love, forgiveness, and doing for the needy.  We are all part of Gods family, even peopleof other religions backgrounds.   The Catholic faith has taught me that Instead of putting other faiths down we need to recognize we are all Gods children and to love each other. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree with RyansMom. Not only do we not put down other faiths the way I've seen some other denoms do, but at least in my Church we take a moment to stop and pray for many of those people who don't really agree with our beliefs and practices. (Not in a condescending way either, just for their general well-being and that they have the kind of relationship with the Lord that He meant for them to)
    Anonymous

• Based on how I witnessed their members treating others here today, I'd say not a whole lot.
    Anonymous