Anyone else dealt with constipation and poo in the underwear? I need some advice.

He is 6.5 and today we are on our 6th pair of underwear. His bottom is getting pretty raw.

He is not meaning too, I know. And he has tried to go poop several times today...but nothing

He eats more fiber than most kids I KNOW! He loves raw veggies and fiber cereals...etc.

I have increased his intake today even more. He has had a handful of prunes, prune juice...fiber cereal....lots of water too.

I am starting to get worried...should I be? Should I take him to the Dr...tomorrow or sooner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I recommend a Chiropractor. I was recommend by my Dr and a specialist for that. My oldest would hold her poop because it was something she could control. I did all the changing the diet. So it come down to that and it has made a world of difference. After we see the chiropractor. 2 hrs later she has to poop. good luck.
    Anonymous

• the fiber may make him go but he prob. needs a stool softener. I think what happens is the hard stool wont come out but it is causing the backed up stool to seep around it causing the leaking in underwear. a stool softner could help him pass the large piece that would be panful to pass. I forget what it is called but its like incoprecious (sp?)or something that means the loose bowel is going around the constipated part.
    Anonymous

• My son has battled this issue for the last 3 years (he's almost 6 and had problems since he was potty trained). I took him to his doctor and after they determined that there was nothing medically wrong with him (besides consipation) his doctor recommended that I give him Miralax. Starting out I gave him 1/2 tsp once a day in a glass of milk (its a powder that they can't taste) and than try weaning him off of it after his body gets on a regular schedule. He has used it off and on for the last 3 years and now only uses it if he hasn't gone for about 3 days, but otherwise his body is now on a normal schedule.
    easinpc

Answer by easinpc at 2:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• How long has this been going on? If it is a recent development within the month, I'd say he is impacted and needs a colon clean out. This is done with several doses of Miralax. You can get it over the counter. It may take a few days to clean him out all the way. If it has been going on for say years he probably has encopresis. If it has been a long time, first eliminate all dairy from his diet for 2 weeks, if no results, see a specialist to test for Celiac Disease, Hirschsprung's Disease and Tethered Cord in conjunction with a behavioral specialist to rule out any stress he may be having.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2010