how do you get a 2 yr old to stop biting?

i understand he does this to express himself but he does this for everything (happy, sad, excited, mad) and my girls (ages 3 and 4) are terrified of him! what can i do?

karen143

Asked by karen143 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No one will agree, but, after you have tried all means of discipline...then, let them bite him back a time or two. He will stop.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP this is not popular on here but bite back, my DD was biting we bit her back 1 time and she doesn't bite anymore.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Honestly, if you've tried everything else...bite him back. It wouldn't be my first choice but some kids just don't understand unless its done to them.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i agree with the above my mom ran a home daycare for 16 yrs and with the permission of parents she bit back and they never bit again. They bit at home and their parents bit back stopped at home and then tested the waters at daycare and got bit back and they never bit again :)
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• When my kids bite (3 & 4) I bite them back. They only bit each other the one time each!

There is only so much you can explain to a child without them experiencing it and unfortunately pain is one of them. A kid doesn't understand hot until they burn themself. Same goes with causing pain in others like the biting.
    Anonymous

• I agree with everyone else. no one wants to inflict pain on their child but when you have tried everything (like I did from time out to mustard, lol) I bit him 10 times max I think. I had a customer at work pull me aside and ask me if "everything at home was ok!". lol. I was covered literaly from the neck dowm with bruises. just tell your girls to bit him hard enoug to prove your point but not to draw blood.
    good luck mama!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2010