Help teaching a toddler to read and write

My daughter is 3 1/2 she knows all of her letters and her numbers and what sounds all of the letters make. I would like to start teaching her to read and write but I am not sure how. I have those dry earse flash cards with the letters on them where the just follow the dashes but she doesn't listen she just tries to color lol...any suggestions on how to teach her to read and write?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She will learn all of this in preschool..don't rush her she is still young. My daughter is 4 and can't write yet but she is starting to be able to read somethings and not only do I think preschool is helping out but also reading to her everynight. We have the leapfrog tag system..not the jr...but it is an excellent product that helps with reading and comprehending things. I also just got her for Christmas this year the leapfrog write and learn ( i think that is what it is called) anyways it helps teach them how to write letters. Be patience..she will get there!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Don't rush her. Also, she needs to be able to draw different types of lines and basic shapes before she can begin to write letters. She will learn in plenty of time to start Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Just do it the same way you did letters and numbers. Talk and spell things out in cheery voices as you go about your day with her. Read her books slowly, spelling things out, and encourage her to do it with you. But there is no need to correct if she does it "wrong" or sit down for certain amount of time for teaching or anything like that. Just do it as you are living and she will pick up on it. :)
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Look up the dolch words on-line. There is a great site for them. They have flash cards to print and games. It will help with the reading. At her age she may start reading before she can really write. Use starfall.com for learning to read also. Great site!! The writing. There are some books that start the writing with just drawing lines. straight lines from one thing to another and then others. Look at your local stores for a book like that. or on-line for some that have that.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2010