Did your childs behavior change when a new baby came?

My daughter is 4. We are expecting our 2nd child in April. She is always well behaved and people actually stop to tell me how good she is...however recently she has been acting out big time at home.

Such as screaming if she doesn't get her way, hitting, sticking out her tongue, stomping her feet, talking back. ect.

Is this because of the baby or just her age and a phase? We do time outs..sometimes works sometimes doesn't...any suggestions?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 5:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think it has anything to do with the baby that is coming. Our older son was 3 when his sister was born, and she was 4 when her younger brother was born. I can honestly say they never missed a beat. It was a very natural and easy transition. If you don't spank your daughter, I think she has just reached the age where she is going to exert her self-governing gene. If I were you, I would get a handle on this before the new baby comes or it could get ugly. She is showing you that she doesnt respect your authority and that she doesn't have to obey you. I would want that under control before the new baby arrives. She is plenty old enough to understand that her behavior will not be tolerated in our home. She is also fully capable of understanding that if she doesn't not respect and obey, then there will be consequences. Then you tell her one time and follow through. It won't take long to get her back on track.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• it's hard to say. our daughter turned into a monster when our son was born. she was 3 1/2. however, i'm not quite convinced it was his birth that brought this on, she's 5 now and is just starting to level out.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010