What is a fair price to pay gmom to babysit for...

4 nights 5 days? She said she would do it for free while hubby and I take a much needed vacation this summer. But we feel uncomfortable having her do it for free. She will also be feeding our 2 dogs. I'm not sure how much to offer her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Travel

• Honestly, I'd let her do it for free. It is grandma, and she probably LOVES that she gets your kids all to herself. That's payment enough to a grandma sometimes. :) :) I suggest buying her a nice souvineer from your vacation spot, and maybe a GC to dinner or a movie upon your return.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• just leave her a credit card so she can go wherever she wants with the kids. if she's not very fond of the dogs I would put them in a kennel, but only because mine are huge and if they poop inside, which happens on occasion, they're getting old, it can be the size of a small chihuahua.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• It depends. An exact amount I think would depend on her circumstances and yours. If she is using up vacation time from work then I'd definitely want to pay her something or at least offer to do something for her. If she could use some money then I'd definitely want to pay her something and just tell her you don't feel right about not paying her since you would have paid anyone else. If she does not work or need money and is doing this because she wants to spend time with your kids, then bring her back a nice gift or give her a gift certificate for something fun or relaxing. I know my mom wouldn't take money, so I'd leave plenty of spending cash for her for while i was gone so she could do fun stuff with the kids and then I'd bring her back a really nice gift.
    Anonymous

• My mom would be offended if we offered her money to watch her grandkids. Just make sure the house is stocked with her fave foods and bring her back a gift.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010