Hamsters or Dwarf Hamsters?

Hubby and I are thinking of getting one for our 3 year old. I know I will be the one taking care of it. Are they easy to take care of?

nsrush83

Asked by nsrush83 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Hamsters are not recommended for kids under 8... they are nippy little monsters.. I've had them and I worked at Petsmart for 6 years. Honestly, I will never allow my kids to own one- they are very prone to wet tail- which they get from stress. Their little systems cannot handle stress from being handled much. They do need fresh fruits and veggies daily as well.
    If you are looking for a small animal for a 3 yr old, might I suggest a Guinea Pig? They are much better in regards to biting. They very seldomly ever bite. They are larger and need more space though.
    Good luck in making your decision.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have always had the dwarfs. They're a little smaller and I think cuter. You could ask at the pet shop though.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• The dwarfs are smaller, faster, don't like to be held and can be nippy. Try a teddy bear hamster. They are larger and sweeter.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Try Gerbil. They are more tolerant of being held.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into them!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Are you against rats as pets? They are wonderful little critters. Very clean and cuddly and rarely bite. They are also very smart. They can learn there names and learn simple tricks. I've had them on and off for 6 yrs and love them! If you are interested, be sure to get atleast two of the same sex. They need to be kept in pairs.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Personally I much prefer rats and guinea pigs to hamsters. The hamsters I have known tend to be bitey. We have two guinea pigs right now, and they are very sweet with the kids- they are even tolerant of our three year old, who is obsessed with reaching underneath them to find their feet whenever she holds them! They do need more space and fresh fruit, hay, and veggies, but they are well worth it to the kids and I!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• They are fairly easy to care for as long as you keep up with the cage...they will start to smell bad if you don't. I would not recommend a dwarf hamster though. Get a teddy bear hamster instead. I had a dwarf hamster once and she was the meanest little s**t pet I've ever had. Always tried to bite you no matter how much you tried to handle her so she was used to people.
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Get a rat instead. They're sweet, sociable, intelligent, and bond to their owners. They can be trained to come to their names, do tricks, and even use a litter box. Rats love people and a rat brought up around humans will not bite. It's more like having a dog than a rodent.

Hamsters are typically solo creatures so they generally do not enjoy human interaction, they're not very smart either so they'll just leap off your daughter to their death, and they're nocturnal so they won't be awake while she is.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2010