my friend is off the wall @ times, a mess, flaky but loving and just a big stress ball. how do i deal with her unmedicated biploar self?

She's a very caring and good friend when she's around. Sometimes she'll call and just say I'm coming over and will literally be here all day until late night but then she'll flake on you a lot other times. Doesn't matter if you've been waiting for her for hrs or what your schedule was, she totally disregards that. This time was my last straw: this monday the 16th I had play dates set with other moms for the kids then my SO had plans to celebrate V day since he worked today. I cancelled everything just to take her to the hospital and support her while she found out what the lump in her breast is. Its a huge painful orange sized ball and she has never goten it checked out. Sh text me right now and said I'm not coming tomorrow and I'm going MIA.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• you just join her and act like her, it will make things more interesting. haha
    Anonymous

• She's scared. I don't know what to tell you. It's up to you if you want to end the friendship. If you cannot take it anymore, that doesn't make you a bad person.
    Anonymous

• OP here: I say she's loving and kind hearted because when she's around she is sweet and is really here for you, but then its like oh she doesn't answer a text or phone call for 4 days. Its weird. She blames her biploar disorder which I definitely think its but at this point its too much too handle. Its stressful and annoying when I'm trying to spend time with my fam and she just comes over. Or I plan somethg and she doesn't show or is seriously late by a couple hrs. I love my firend but I'm tired of it. She's known of this lump for 5 yrs and still hasn't got it checked out. Its grown a lot! Her 13 year old DD is worried as well and she needs it checked. I don't know if ishould stop talkin to her all together or just not be so available. I did however start leaving if she wasn't here when she said. I no longer wait for her. But its kind of ridiculos to me. I have my family to worry about not this friend
    Anonymous

• I have Bi-Polar disorder and I used to act like your friend. Thanks to therapy I am seeing the wake I left behind, and it's a bumpy one. People with Bi-Polar NEED medication, therapy, lifestyle change, etc., and if she does not take good care of herself, it is very stressful for everyone in her life. Maybe ake a break from her for a while?
    Anonymous

• my aunt is bi-polar If you are a good friend then stay her friend , talk with her family & see if they can help her take her meds.
    don't change your plans for her unless an emergency like her lump in her breast.. just try to be patient.. & tell her to stay busy my aunt does really good when she has goals, & stuff to do during the day.. she graduated college recently..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2010