What do you do with the little ones?

My daughter is going to be going to pre-k this fall. I am due to give birth in August. I was wondering if your child is doing something like a special day where the parents can come in or field trip and you want to volunteer or join in the fun do you take your little one or do you try to find someone to watch them? I didn't know if many schools allow you to take a little one. I'm sure it also depends on the area we live to but I just wanted some opinions. Thanks :)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• idk, my dd is going to kindergarden and i am in the same boat. i would probably just let ur husband or someone else go instead. it would be hard to give both ur kids the attention u need while ur baby is so young. if u get any good answers pass em on to me.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 6:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My sons preschool has been great about me taking me younger son in. The only thing they have said is that I cannot take my baby on the bus for field trips for safety reasons. We go in all the time and volunteer or just hang out and play with the kids. I will admit it is easier to go to his classroom by myself, but that isn't always an option. Plus, I don't like leaving my baby very much.
    Just talk to the teacher when school starts.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• When Melissa was in Pre-K, I was allowed to take Michael with me when I went to volunteer. Back then I was at the school every week. Nowadays I do not know the policy. I guess it depends on the teacher's preference and how old the baby is.
    MMsMom

Answer by MMsMom at 7:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Babies are welcome at our school, especially when they are little, as they get older it is harder, as there can be glue and scissors etc. Our toddlers have gone in and sat on the mat for the end of day story time with big brother or sister -very cute.
    If the baby is screaming they would expect you to take it out, but otherwise, chuck her in a sling and go for it. Babies are portable.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• There's been a few field trips I was allowed to bring my DD (She was 3-5 at those times), and some I could not. It all depends on the place. If they are going to something like a museum or somewhere that requires quiet, then they often do not allow little ones. If it's somewhere like a zoo, then I've never had an issue with it. On the ones where I couldn't take DD, I just had to pass even though the older ones really wanted me to be able to go. They understand though, and next year when DD goes to full day first grade (only half day kindergarten here) I can go on more of their field trips and activities.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I took my daughter when she was really little in for school parties and such - generally she was sleeping or content in her carseat. however, i never took her on field trips. neither my SS's preschool or my SD's school would allow her to go on field trips. If you want to do field trips, I reccommend finding a sitter.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2010