Has anyone had a cervical foley catheter used to induce labor?

I am 39 weeks and just left my doctor. She said that if I do not go into labor by my due date which is Friday then I will be induced on Sunday night. She is going to be giving me a cervical foley catheter to help bring on labor. I was wondering if any one has experienced this and if they could give me some ideas of what it will be like? Feeling anxious and nervous but excited at the same time. Thanks for any input. :)

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If I remeber correctly it's like a balloon full of water and it puts pressure on the bag of waters so that it encourages them to break but don't quote me on that. I've mostly heard of CNMs using it but doctors use it as well on occation.
    Anonymous

• I was induced with my daughter but I didn't have the catheter. They did break my water with what looked like a crochet hook. It didn't hurt. Then I was given pitocin to speed things up. I guess you could google it and see if you can come up with some answers if you don't find anyone on here. Good luck and congrats!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Catheters Pinch. Its not a huge pain (considering labor) but its still a pain.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010