My husband hates our dog.

He is not much of an animal person. His mom would never allow him to have a pet growing up and she is still very scared of animals. So I didn't ever expect we would own one.
I LOVE animals. Grew up my whole life around them. For my birthday 2 yrs ago DH surprised me and got me a little lab puppy. Our kids LOVE this dog. He is our 4 yr old's best friend. Recently our lab stayed with my mom for a few hours while MIL visited and 4 yr old cried and cried bc he missed his dog!
Anyways, so DH HATES this dog. Dog is very well trained. I took him to many classes and socialized him. I have even done some amatur service dog training with him.
Everything dog does bothers DH. DH complains that the dogs licking keeps him up at night. Dog sleeps in family room. DH claims that he hears the dog licking at night and it irritates him. If the dog just walks near DH he loses it. Every slightest movement of the dog pisses off DH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pets

• DH needs to have a glass of red wine a day to calm down.
    Anonymous

• OP again. Our kids would be devastated if we got rid of our dog. But it is causing problems between DH and I. If the dog does anything DH doesn't like he blames it on me. Like it is my fault. If I am gone all day DH refuses to feed the dog or give him water. I will come home and the water bowl is completely dry and DH doesn't care. It is just causing fights between us. DH resents me if I miss a day or two of cleaning up the backyard poop. When I am sick or when I was recently hospitalized and had surgery, DH won't take the dog for a walk and complained about having to poor food into the dog bowl.
    Anonymous

• *pour food.

Sorry
    Anonymous

• I think it's kinda ridiculous of him to act like such a child if he purchased the dog for you in the first place...was it just a "control tactic"??? Just something that he could give to you "in the moment" but then use against you in the long run? It just seems so odd that he got the puppy for you and then wants to act like that.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• aww im so sorry! im a total animal lover to! and would never give my dogs up. if he hated dogs so much tho, why would he get you one?? especially if you somewhwat dealt with the fact that you werent ever gonna get one because of him. its easy for me to say well just tell him to suck it up and deal with it, if not for you, for the kids' sake. but, i can tell its just not that easy. has he tried like hanging out with the dog?? trying to get a bond between them? if the dogs licking is keeping him up at night can the dog sleep somewhere further away in the house? or better yet make your husband where earplugs..LOL just kidding!! i dont think its fair to give away a perfectly fine dog away just cuz your DH doesnt like him!! after all it IS his fault ya have one!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• timandmel:

That's exactly what I feel!! Why would he even get me the puppy in the first place if he doesn't want anything to do with a dog?? I knew all along he wasn't a dog person so I didn't ever push getting a family dog. It was a HUGE surprise to me. Now me and the kids are so bonded with this dog. He is one of the family.
    I get your point, but I don't think he is a very controlling person. I just think he wanted to make me happy, but didn't realize that this is a big commitment, and one that he would have to be involved in. I think he wants me to take care of the dog entirely by myself and he have no contact with it. Which for the most part I do fine caring for the dog, but there are always occasions when I need a little help.
    Its getting to the point where regular dog things, like lapping up water, make my husband SOOOO annoyed.
    Anonymous

• Your husband sounds like my dad. He grew up in a home with out pets unless you count the chickens they raised. Growing up we always heard how awful the animals were and how we were better off without them. It was a bummer for him that he lived with a house full of animal lovers, at one point we had 8 cats, 3 dogs 2 birds and a few reptiles. Deep down though my dad never really hated them and he mellowed over the years though we still heard many negatives things. The later years i think he just enjoyed getting a rise out of his kids. You might tell him how it makes you feel but if he keeps it up i'd just ignore him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Well, there are always consequences for our actions, and his consequences for choosing to buy a puppy for you are having to deal with it, and learn to be decent. Your kids should not have to see him be "short' with you or the dog. He made the decision, not you. And, I'm not of the kind that believes all animals are created as "human equals", but the dog doesn't deserve this either.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 7:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My hubby is jealous of my dog..He always says that dog gets more love than him, ha-ha, his is only half joking..I have always been suspicious of people that totally dislike animals, there is a coldness to people like that!!

Anonymous

• We have 2 dogs and Ive been feeling the same way as your DH but I think its just because Im pregnant. I mean DH's breathing makes me mad lol. He probably hasnt given the dog a chance I think its dumb he throwing a fit and letting it cause problems in your relationship.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 7:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2010