• In the Spotlight:

How do I keep my 4yo from picking up my 3yo nephews BAD habits?? Or correcting them when they're together?

My son is AWESOME. He has amazing manners, usually listens, is incredibly intelligent, etc. The problem is my 3yo nephew, who is around almost daily. You can't make him listen to a single word you say, if you can get a word in at all. He cusses, says awful things (he told his mom he was going to cut her head off today) punches, etc. His mom REALLY tries with him and they are in counseling but nothing seems to be working to fix his behavior so far. My son becomes UNCONTROLLABLE around my nephew and is picking up some of the bad behavior. I explain to him why we can't act that way but it all goes out the window once my nephew is around again. And trust me, we've tried everything to correct them when they're together and NOTHING works. I'm no pro at this because my son has always been great so I don't know how to handle this situation. HELP?! Also, keeping them apart isn't possible at all in our circumstances.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Spend less time with the nephew.
    Anonymous

• if you cannot stop your son from seeing the nephew.... then maybe you could say they cannot play TOGETHER when one of them acts up. they have toplay in different rooms, or diffenent ends of the house. seperate them. you should lay out the rules first too. if your son values his cousin he will begin in coach him to do the right thing because he will miss playing With him...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• to anon 11:45-- I'm sorry but I don't believe I should back up on my judgment in the least, but suggest that you should. I am in no way giving my son a superiority complex by recognizing that he is a well-behaved child and letting him know those are great qualities to have. As a matter of fact, I believe that falls under the category of positive reinforcement. To my knowledge, that happens to be a GOOD thing-- correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sorry if you don't see that there is a legitimate problem for a child to tell his mother he is going to cut her head off. I think any parent would show concern after hearing that, no matter how "totally awesome" they think their own child is.
    Anonymous