How do I know its time to go to the hospital?

My due date was just changed a week earlier than it was. I was originally due March 14th. Now it's March 6th, so its about 3 weeks away. I was told you can get contractions for... lets say 2 hours and then they can just stop....how long should I wait til I go to the hospital? How far apart should the contractions be?

jdiamondj158

Asked by jdiamondj158 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the typical answer is : They should be 5 min(timing from the start of one contraction to the start of the next) apart for 1 hour. By that point you should have a lot of trouble talking through them.

On another note each person progresses differently so when in doubt call or just go.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Doctors usually tell you to wait until contractions are 5 minutes apart, lasting about a minute each, and continuing regularly for at least an hour. That can be adjusted depending on how far away from the hospital you are (leave earlier if you're far away, you can stay home longer if you're really close) and how much you want to labor at home (some women want to go through early labor at home and not go to the hospital until they're approaching transition). Generally, you'll know it's the "real thing" when the contractions are happening regularly and getting more intense. You usually can't talk through "real" contractions, so that might help you figure it out. And nothing helps ease them at all, not walking or lying down or anything like that that can sometimes help with Braxton Hicks contractions.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I knew when my water broke. However I was only 18, so I was kind of embarrassed and I didn't tell anyone. I drove myself to the hospital that I thought my water broke. It turned out it was the onset of labor, however my labor lasted 27 hours and 10 minutes. I agree with the previous comment. When my sisters water broke, she had the baby in 5 hours. It is different for everyone.
    jll1484

Answer by jll1484 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• They should be continuing and getting stronger, they should be about 5 mins apart for at least half hour, you should not be able to talk or walk through the contraction.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i would say if they are 4 minutes apart and 1 minute long and for over an hour. i would not go to the hospital until getting on the computer was the last thing on my mind :) good luck
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone...this has helped alot. I'm only 19 and pretty nervous as it's getting closer and closer.
    jdiamondj158

Answer by jdiamondj158 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2010