Are controlling moms really good moms that bad mom's call controlling?

I know I want the best for my kids and I feel I'm doing things to help them. I have consequences and limits to things. But I get called controlling. If this applies to you, how do you handle it those comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Giving my children boundaries and molding them to become good people. I let my children express themselves so long as they're not hurting themselves or anyone or be mean and disrespectful in any way. Sure, I want to protect my kids, but I also want them to be safe and prepared. If someone were to look at me strangely or call me controlling then I would look at their out of control kids and say, "huh...." and brush it off as much as possible. I agree with Anon 7:05p...trust your instincts and don't listen to them. Simply walk away and/or move somewhere else. You're shaping your kids to be good and respectful people who will succeed in life.
    Anonymous

• yes
    Anonymous

• This happened to me all the time when I was raising children. I have 2 grown daughters who are lovely productive citizens. One is married and has a child of her own, the other is in college.

Those that called me controlling are reaping the rewards of their lack of being a controlling mom. They have children who live off of them and have no jobs, don't go to school, and some are drug addicts. Stick to your guns, dear, and trust your instincts. And either ignore or stay away from whoever is offering you nothing but destructive criticism.
    Anonymous

• I would use the word strict rather than controlling. I feel I am a little strict but I dont care what people think of me! My daughter watches no crap TV, hears no crap music, and no one is allowed to curse around her. SHe is in bed at 7pm evry night with no exceptions. I feel my family's well being is more important than other people's opinions. Stick to your guns.
    Anonymous

• When I was in college some of the worst kids, as far as drinking and drugs, random sex were people who were super sheltered and had controlling moms, as soon as they were out on their own they went wild..So there is a flip side to every coin..I think you are trying to say you are a better mom because your controlling, don't really agree..My parents were laid back and let me be myself, I turned out fine, I am college educated married to a great guy with 2 beautiful daughters!!

Anonymous