Deficit cutting

Do you have an idea of something that should be or could be cut that would help our deficit problem?
If you do how much would it save a year?

Of course I am not going to ask you to do this with out me having an idea too.
So here is mine and I look forward to seeing yours.

There are 100 senators 435 representatives... They make an average 170,000 dollars a year. I would like to see them cut that pay in half. That would be 85,000 x 535 = 45,475,000 saved a year. Now I know this alone isn't even a dimple into our deficit. But it's a start. So show me your ideas.

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Your idea works for me. However, I would add the president and vice president, and limit the first lady's staff to 12 assistants.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• They need their expense accounts chopped as well...AND no more flying home to their home state EVERY weekend. Build them a dorm with a cafeteria to live in while they are in DC.

No more silly "studies" like why gay men have unprotected sex when they are drunk, no turtle tunnels and the marsh mice will have to find a new protector.

The "arts" will need to revert to paper and crayon for a while...ditto for university building funds.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I think if the fed gov quit funding the schools, and left that up to the states and the cities, that could free up a lot of money, too. And the same for any kind of welfare. Let the states, cities, and churches take care of their people. Don't know how much money that would save, but it would be a good start. And there are some very good ideas up there ^^^^.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Ooooh, I have a really good one!!!!!! Let's cut out the EIC for a year or two. THAT would save a boat-load of money!!!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Interesting ideas. But you do want to make sure you're not transferring the tax responsibility from one place to another. I agree with YSK on the flights home. The Congressional reps should be responsible for that and should get an insurance package like the rest of us.

I'd also like to make sure we're not still wasting money in the DOD...no more pricey toilets. How about dumping price supports for dairy?

Answer by gdiamante at 9:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• These are all great suggestions and if all of these were done, the savings would add up. The problem is that this admin. feels they are entitled, cutting back doesn't apply to them, just us! Think about all the money wasted on Dem. campaigns, there is no telling how much we tax payers paid to try to keep or get Dems in office, recently. The flights to those cities, the flights and parties to get brownie points with the Olympic Committee, they waste tons of $$$ and they don't even think about what they spend because they don't care. It makes me sick that the President of our country and his admins. just simply ignore us!

I keep hearing about medicaid/medicare fraud & waste and that they will stop this when h/c goes thru, WTH? So if they know of the problem, NOW, why don't they stop it NOW? What are they waiting for? I just don't get it....
    cont...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• His CZARS have to be costing us a bundle &  "Michelle Obama reportedly has 22 attendants whose sole duties are to care for her social and personal life. Their combined annual salaries are in excess of $1,250,000, all at taxpayer expense."  http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9017607           This is disgusting, too: "By now you might be aware that the Congressional junket to Copenhagen led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi cost taxpayers over 1 million...  http://www.floppingaces.net/2010/01/29/pelosis-party-plane/ 

They are the ones who are spending us into oblivion!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:09 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Here's a thought....if you're NOT a LEGAL citizen of this country you are not entitled to government subsidies! If you are in this country ILLEGALLY, and you are arrested for a crime that would result in jail time = instant deportation! If you are an ILLEGAL citizen and you have a baby born in the USA (and neither parent is a LEGAL American citizen), you should BOTH be considered ILLEGAL and both need to be sent back to their home country!!!

Seriously, if the "safety nets" were tightened a bit, and it was harder to qualify for them, there would far fewer people feeling entitled to all of the "freebies." And if it were harder to qualify for them, I imagine people would figure out a way to make ends meet--just like they did before FDR came along!

Eliminating those strains, could very well balance the budget! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2010