How do I get the family from making jokes about giving him food that he isn't old enough to have?

My in-laws are a big problem they want to give my 6 month old gum to suck thesugar off of. My family does it to but i want them both to stop. How do I get my point across with out having to say I'm sorry u can't see him unless I'm with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stick to your guns, and plan on them never changing. It is a battle I fought until my children were old enough to make their own eating decisions. It was a respect issue with me. They had no respect for me no matter what I did.
    Anonymous

• Just let them know that you will be in charge of what he eats, and you'd prefer if they did not playfully suggest things for him to eat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• OMG!!! My in-laws seriously do the EXACT same thing! My BIL is constantly asking if they have any lemons because he wants to give it to my 6 month old son and my FIL tried to feed him a breadstick at Olive Garden the other night...and also wanted to dip his pacifier in some beer...it PISSES me off beyond belief. And the messed up thing is, is that if I wasn't there...they probably would. I quit trying to act like it didn't bother me. Now when they say stuff like that, I turn the bitch mode up full force.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Tell them you dont think it is funny and that it makes you unable to trust them with your kid joking or not.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• !!! I was just at my mom's house for dinner & my younger sister kept going on, "Can I let her lick sauce off my finger?" "Can she have a piece of bread?" My sister is almost 17 & knows that babies have to wait some time before eating real food. My daughter will be 3 months next week. And my mom kept saying, "Well in another month she can." I'm like, NO WAY, PEOPLE!!! She's not eating anything but momma's milk until she is 6 months old AT LEAST!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I went through the same thing with my family except they thought it should be alright to give my daughter a roasted chicken bone at 7 months. I approached it by saying that she was my baby and giving her that kind of food was not something I wanted her to have. Your baby, your choice. I had to let my family know that until I thought my daughter was ready for that kind of food, there would be nothing going into her mouth except for what I gave her.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 9:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my MIL wanted to give my son cookies at 6 months old, my FIL wanted to give him chocolate at 7 months old, Its one thing to joke but when they mean it and try thats diffrent, So they will never watch him since they cant respect my wishes now. I tell them no all the time and if I have to I take whatever away and throw it away if they try to give him somehitng
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2010