Annoyed

Do you ever get irritated how your spouse treats you? My husband always says, "Let's be a family!" Then he says, "Don't worry about my son, I will take care of him." Meaning the responsibilty falls solely on my husband even though we both have step children to care for and he disciplines my children.

What do I do to combat this "Man of The House?"

I have every right to tell my step son to study his Spanish since he needs to improve his grades in that class. I have every right to tell my step son to read for 30 mins a day especially when he spends the weekend partying it up. There is nothing wrong with this, so how do i get this though to my husband?

He can't tell me to be a family with him but then make me a babysitter to his son where his son walks all over and treats me like dirt b/c he feels he doesn't have to liste to me or respect me.

What can I do? All solutions are welcomed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Sorry, I'm a big one that believes step parents should not tell step children what to do. It's dad's job, not your's. If my children's step mother told them what to do all heck would break loose.
    Anonymous

• There is a family unit and I am so sick of everyone saying that step parents should not parent their step children. HELLO!!!!!!! They are parents to all the children in the house! So get over yourself people!!! You can't control what goes on in the other house. My step son's mother was upset he called me mommy. So she mad him hate me to make him stop.

Discuss a way to r un your house together. That's the only way. The children have to respect you both. So your husband needs to tell his son how valuable you are to him and the family and show his son how to act properly.
    Anonymous

• First person to answer... I noticed how you didn't tell the husband not to discipline his step daughter. You just told the wife that it's not her job to discipline her step son. What do you have to say about that?!?
    Anonymous

• how old is the stepchild? ask your husband-- does he want you to treat your stepchild as that- a STEPchild? or as your child- biological or not?
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 8:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If you're primarily watching your step son, there needs to be rules in place where you can discipline your step son as needed.
    Anonymous

• hmm-- for some reason- i missed him disciplining YOUR children (as in his stepchildren)... how many children do YOU have seperately? is it a girl? maybe he thinks that since he's the "man"- he has to raise his boy according to HIS mindset? that since he's a man, he's gotta make the boy grow up to be a man-- without the help of a woman?

and honestly- the examples you put (studying spanish, reading) arent really discipline behavior... more like just parenting. you are parenting a child within your household.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 8:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I wish I could help you with your problem but it seem i'm going through the same thing you are and because this is the hardest relationship i've ever been i'm thinkin about living my b/f because of the drama we have with step parenting and the ex's i almost feel like i never be in relationship again and should listen to my dad about waiting till my kids are out of the house to date...... I dont trust my man because of his ex wife and because my ex man did me wrong... his youngest son only listen to me when my man is around and act like a fuckn monster when im watching him alone.... his eldest son that live with his mom is great but my man treats him like crape cuz he should to live with him mom instead of with him...his ex wife cheated with on him while he was prego with there child that she lost.... I didnt sign up with this life changed when i moved in my kids are fine but im a fuckn mess
    Anonymous