1st time cruise, advice please!!

My husband and I are taking our first cruise May 3rd for his 30th Birthday!! We're leaving from Tampa, FL on the Carnival Inspiration headed for The Grand Caymen and Cozumel. We're really excited but a bit nervous! Any tips or info about excursions, dinner, ship activites, formal nights, etc would be great.
Thanks so much!!

CameronsMommy23

Asked by CameronsMommy23 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Travel

• That's a fun cruise. I've done it a couple times. I was never very impressed with Cozumel but I never did any of the suggested things. We rented a car the first time and drove around. the second time, we just stayed around the dock and shopped. If you can, take advantage of the spa packages they have. Formal night is just as it sounds so if you have a dress you can't find a reason to wear because it feels too fancy, wear it. Everyone breaks out the ball gowns. take the boat tour or snorkeling or whatever it is. The water is gorgeous. Have fun!
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 8:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I really like underwater Cozumel!! Check out www.cruisecritic.com for LOTS of advive. They even have roll calls where you can meet people on YOUR cruise!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• We have a restaurant that we LOVE in Grand Cayman... when you get off the tender, you will go to the street and go to the right about a block. Go left down that street and on the right will be an open air restaurant.. they serve conch, turtle burgers ( which are to die for!) and a ton of other goodies.. Dh loves the Jamaican meat patties there and has been known to smuggle them onto the ship in the past. We also like to snorkel in GC.
    We love a restaurant in Cozumel as well.. it is at the very end of the main shopping street. It is on the back of a shop. It is amazing! We typically go snorkeling at Chankanaab Park. It is about 15 minutes from the port by taxi.
    Cruises are great! I've been on 10 of them and we are going in November with the kids. Have fun!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Thanks ladies!! I'm so excited but I worry if we don't do excursions we won't get back on the ship I time! Is it expensive on board? I feel like such a dork but I want to be prepared. And will they do anything special for my DHs birthday?
    CameronsMommy23

Answer by CameronsMommy23 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If you get in touch with the line before cruising- you can get a cake for him. I did it for my Dh's 30th bday 5 years ago... if I remember correctly, I did it online through their website. As long as you know what time the ship departs you should be fine. Book any excursions now! It will be much cheaper than waiting until you are on board. We booked one on our last cruise before we left and it was $35 per person... once we were on board it was $75 per person!!
    Yes- things on the ship are expensive...if you drink a lot of cokes, I would suggest a coke card.. it is usually around $40 and it gives one person unlimited cokes for the week. It is worth the price if you drink a lot of them.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Awesome!! Thanks for answering my questions!! :~)
    CameronsMommy23

Answer by CameronsMommy23 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2010