Circumcision...

I am having a little boy, and I know that circumcision is a common practice today, but I wanted to get the opinions of a few moms who have gone through this and getting there opinions. What are the pros and the cons? Should I do it or shouldn't I? Thanks for all the help!

loulou112

Asked by loulou112 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My sister is a Family Nurse Practitioner and she says that you should do what the father is. Her thought (which I love) is that if you have a girl and she sees that mommy has no hair then you can say you will get it one day but if you have a boy and your husband is not circumsized then you can not tell your son that one day you will grow it. I have a boy and I got him circumsized because I also know that cleaning them up when they get the poop every where is way easier when you don't have to pull back the forskin. There are times though that they get done but there is so much skin that it does not look like they have been. I know two boys that are that way. Still I would make the decision on what the dad has.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i got my son circ'd.

i know this is going to tick a lot of people off.. but i switched his doctor and the first time she saw him she said "thank goodness he is circumcised, i don't know why people aren't circumcising anymore" and then she said in a kid voice "thank you mommy for circumcising me".
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 8:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I don't have a boy but I am with a man who isn't circ'd. I don't think that I would unless you deem it medically necessary. It is done mostly for cosmetic reasons.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son had a circumcision. The thing that I had done for him was to have a partial circumcision. The doctor only took the top part off and left the extra skin on the bottom. I guess that because there are so many nerve endings in the foreskin, complete removal could mean less sensation when he is older. I wanted him to have the benefit of sensation but also the cleanliness of being circumsized. Also, a lot of men are circumsized and I didn't want him to feel weird if he was different. Ultimately, it is your decision and it is not and easy choice to be made. I would recommend that you do some research and talk to your pediatrician about what options are available and the pro/cons to those options. Best of luck!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 9:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2010