Help teaching a toddler to read and write

My daughter is 3 1/2 she knows all of her letters and her numbers and what sounds all of the letters make. I would like to start teaching her to read and write but I am not sure how. I have those dry earse flash cards with the letters on them where the just follow the dashes but she doesn't listen she just tries to color lol...any suggestions on how to teach her to read and write?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i would probably start with the reading. if she knows the sounds, start with very basic words. i would actually get some pre-k books and online resources along those levels. i would definately be reading to her as much as possible. i know in kindergarten here they do "popcorn" words. they are basic words on flash cards. the focus on a few each week. there is a list of Dolce words (i dont remember if that is what they are called but its something like that - the 200 most used words) online somewhere. Also, scholastic book order forms have things that are meant to help kids learn to read as well. and they are online too. i wouldn't push too much though. if she just wants to color the letters, i wouldn't think she was quite ready for writing. just stick with coloring....maybe.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• kids have a very short attention span at that age
    Anonymous

• Montessori curriculum uses textured tiles for that age group. The tiles are made with sandpaper over a smooth tile to let the child "feel" the shape of the letters.

Copying mommy is a really good way to learn. It's easier for a child to draw with a finger than a pen or crayon. Try a tray covered in shaving foam. Mommy draws A then little one draws A, say A together, say the "ah" sound together. Discuss words that begin with the sound. It's really fun to draw in shaving foam. You can add food coloring if that helps maintain interest.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Well, isn't reading taught in first grade? ANd printing, numbers,letters,etc. are perfected in kindergarten and first grade. I don't see why you want to start NOW?
    Anonymous

• Leave that poor child alone!
    Anonymous

• I have a 3 year old son. I know boys are behind girls normally in this area. My son can only count to six and has no cocept of spelling or reading. Though he does love to "read" books. He really has no patince for learning.

In August, He'll be a bit over 3 1/2, I plan on starting a headstart program that will help him to learn his basics.

Not sure how to help you teach as I'm not sure myself but maybe look into a headstart program. The one here in AR is called HIPPY and its state funded. A teacher comes to your house once a week and leaves you a program to do daily.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I'm a teacher & I don't know why you want your 3 yr old to read & write already it's great that your motivated & want to but let her be a baby it goes by way to fast enjoy her & let her learn gradually
    Anonymous

• My son is 5 and in kindergarten, just starting to read. i wouldn't push it. They will learn when ready. If you push too hard, it will only turn them away. I see my son growing and learning so much right now because he wants too and is having fun with it. My son is now looking at words and tries so hard to sound them out, its amazing. He knew all his letters and numbers at a young age, but I never tried to get him to read. It will come in time. Enjoy them at this age and not push the reading, they will get it when ready.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I don't want to hurt your feelings when I say this, but why do you want your child to learn to read at three? Who's been making you feel bad that your child can't read already? Who really cares if they can or can't read at three? You said she knows her numbers, and letters, and in order, I assume...isn't that enough? Don't try to push things like reading on them too soon, because all that will do is burn them out. I remember when I learned to read. I was frustrated because my younger brother picked up on it faster than I did...and there were a lot or words I had trouble with, even when I was as old as seven or eight. But then all of a sudden, I stopped having issues with reading...it just came easier all on its own, and my favorite thing to do to this day, is read. Over almost any other activity. Reading is wonderful, but there's no reason to push this milestone.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 2:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2010