How do I ween my 17 month old?

I am almost 20 weeks pregnant with my second child and still nursing my first 3 times a day. I know I can keep nursing and tandem nurse, but I am ready to at least get rid of his nap nursing. The problem is, I nurse him to sleep. So I guess my question is if he is not falling asleep on his own will it be too much of a change for me to take away that nursing and let him cry himself to sleep. Or should I work on getting him to fall asleep on his own first. I know it is not going to be easy either way, I am just looking for some suggestions. Thanks

snugglybuggly

Asked by snugglybuggly at 8:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump and put your milk in a cup and stop nursing at nap time.

Anonymous

• I'd work on getting him to sleep on his own first. There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on how to do it...search the site for "sleep."

I wouldn't pump...more work.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Is it better to pump than to just give him formula or cow's milk. Won't pumping keep my body and milk supply from adjust the the eliminated nursing?
    snugglybuggly

Answer by snugglybuggly at 8:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• He's over a year old. He can drink cow's milk. There is nothing wrong with cow's milk. If you want him to have cow's milk instead of breast milk then go for it. The breastfeeding advocates on here are going to fly on this post and tell you to keep breastfeeding him but you need to do what is best for you and him.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• "Is it better to pump than to just give him formula or cow's milk."

Breastmilk is always better. Pumping is merely extra work.

" Won't pumping keep my body and milk supply from adjust the the eliminated nursing? "

Yes. Drop only ONE nursing and don't do anything to make up for it. You can give water or cow's milk. Mom's choice. There's no wrong way to go here except cold turkey, which would be hard on you.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010