Friends

Would you be friends with someone you had completely different beliefs than? If so, would you openly (and calmly) discuss theology, or would it have to be a topic to avoid?

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 8:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Heh, not a single person on my friends list is the same religion as me, and I discuss theology with most of them on a regular basis.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Every one of my friends are of a different belief than me. Most are Christians. I've many discussions about beliefs with them, and all of them have been respectful and with love:)
    It's possible, if both parties are secure enough in their inner truths, and love the other person enough to respect their own paths they are walking.
    My Christian friends have taught me quite about about their God.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have many, but there is one here from CM that we call back and forth often and talk and we can and have (with giggles too) talked or discussed or even asked of each others beliefs...
    I am a Wiccan-Witch and she is a United Pentecostal now go figure that one... LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:58 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• That should say, "quite a bit about their God". Sorry.
    sahmamax2

• I have several friends of varying religions. Atheists, Pagans and whole rainbow of other world religions. We talk often and have no problem with each other's beliefs.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 8:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• In person I am friends with people who have different beliefs than I do. It's not a topic we outright try to avoid, I don't think, but it's not really something that we talk about regularly either. I think we just tend to concentrate on the things we have in common. I would have no problem discussing our theological differences if it ever came up, and I would not be worried that it would damage our friendship.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have a mix- some of my friends are like minded, others are very different in beliefs. I can openly discuss faith with most of them. More than once I've heard something that seemed odd to me, being outside of a faith, whether it be a belief or a practice. I'm glad I can just ask them to explain to me. I think I prefer those conversations to those I can have with someone who will just mirror my own thoughts back to me.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• so far, yes. i have some atheist friends (both IRL and internet), and a client who is pagan (she hasn't outed herself as wiccan, but i'm fairly certain she's afraid to do so..not because of me, but..you know.). i have several catholic friends/clients whom i am very capable of having theological discussions with, even though we're of extremely different denoms. oddly enough, although i know many people of various xtian denoms, there's not much discussion concerning such. perhaps its because people who know me, know i'm sure of my faith, and they of theirs (or lack of) and its simply not an issue that our friendships depend on.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have many friends who aren't Christian, I respect them as people and admire them for their standards/morals and besides they're FUN and they don't judge me because I'm a Christian.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have a lot of friends that are not Pagan. Various denominations of Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Agnostic, Atheist the list goes on. If asked, I answer their questions and they are asking from a learning stand point not to judge. I do not push my faith on them and they show me the same respect.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010