Mother of Autistic student needs to go, what to do?

I am a special education teacher. I have a mom who constantly feels the need to stay in my room for the entire time her son is in my room. I am a good teacher, my paras are wonderful. We have achieved amazing things with our students. However, this woman is driving me crazy. They are frequently late, disrupting class as they join us in the morning. Mom takes calls on her cell phone during class time. She also tries to get involved in the lessons of the other students, we do not want or need her assistance as she can barely read or write herself. She behaves as if she is my long lost buddy, trying to have conversations with me as I work with my students, I just want her out of my room. The principal will not back us, because she is afraid of the woman's advocate. Her son is an angel, but we cannot stand her. I repeat, we are good at what we do, her son is safe with us, but how do we get her out of our hair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in

• How long has this been going on? If she's been doing this since the beginning of the school year, trying to enforce changes on her is going to be difficult this late in the game. If this is a more recent development, you could make up a "classroom rules" list for her the specifically states what her limits are while in your room (eg...no cell phone, no interfering with other student's instruction, etc.) OR you could get the other student's parents to help you win this fight. Let them know that this parent is disruptive & interfering with their children's education. If enough of them start calling your building principal, I'm sure something will be done and fast. There are also the legal issues to consider - safety, privacy laws, etc.
    Anonymous

• Explain to her that he needs to be separated from her for awhile. He needs to be treated as a normal child and she isn't letting that happen. Tell her you'd like to see how he does on his own. Let me think on this one more. I understand her thinking, but she does need to loosen the cord some.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• She needs to know that she is being totally disruptive and inappropriate by answering her phone, coming late, and speaking out of turn. If she wants to observe 1 day a week, then fine. But she can't interfere with the lessons. If she has a complaint about that, then so what. Every rational person knows that one does not answer a cell phone in the middle of a class, pre-k through university.

Let her know that it is best for her child for her to come to class less often, like the PP said.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• As a parent of an autistic child, I can understand how the mother is concerned about her son's development and education. But with my daughter, I basically followe and adhered to what the professionals think is best for her in the school. If I feel something else needs to be done, I write a note, send an email or catch the teacher before or after school. But I can't imagine invading her classroom and distracting and other students, that's stepping well over the line. When my daughter started, I wanted to sit in the class for a while and monitor her myself, the teacher let me know that my presence in the room would invite a different behavior from my daughter and progress would be impossible. Let her know you can't successfully teach and help her child and the other children to progress because she's there. But be nice about it, letting her see that she needs to remove herself for her child's sake.
    Sdaniels77

Answer by Sdaniels77 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2010