Appendicitis?

I went to the emergency room today-- I am having EXCRUTIATING pain in my lower right abdominal area. I am not feverish, have had chills all day, I've been nautious, clammy, sweaty, and dizzy. They thought it might be appendicitis, but my CT scan came back negative. There are no toxins in my system (no drugs, ect), I am not pregnant (test was negative). I have an IUD but it is 100% normal (they checked). I failed my 'rebound' test for appendicitis, and all of the other physical tests associated with it. The pain gets worse when I walk, and when I move my legs around.

The doctor said because my CT scan was negative it wasn't appendicitis, and therefore not life threatening. He sent me home with pain medicine and told me to follow up with a family physician- his job is only to make sure I won't die in the next 48 hours and isn't obligated to find a cause. Any ideas what it could be? Could it still be appendicitis?

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 9:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Health

• You should have a fever with appendicitis and if that is it, it will burst and you'll have instant relief, in which case, you must RUN to the ER again for emergency surgery.

Could it be gastroeneritis (I don't know how to spell it) but that is what they diagnosed me with when I had a similar symptoms/went to the ER. I took Motrin and it went away. Have you pooped? Also, call the on call doctor and explain what the ER doc said and just get a quick second opinion over the phone.
    Anonymous

• When I had appendicitis, it took them 5 hours and every test known to man to diagnose. My CT was negative too, I can't remember which test it was that just barely showed it. I had no fever, I had no lower right abdominal pain, I had sever upper back pain with some nausea, that was it. It sucked. But you do NOT have to have a fever like the first anon said.

It could be ovulation - are you about halfway between periods? It could be a cyst - back in high school I woke up with appendicitis type pain, went to school anyway, PE teacher did a couple of little tests, said "it's your appendix, call your folks, get to the doc" - turned out to be a cyst. It could be something like your hip being severly out of place - especially if it hurts more when you walk.

One thing the first anon said that I agree with - if you feel rather sudden pain relief, go straight to the ER, without hesitation!
    Anonymous

• My dd did not have a fever, and her CT scan was completely normal. Heck, her appendix looked completely normal. But her pathology report came back as ACUTE APPENDICITIS. You should be in surgery right now!
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010