IMPORTANT: brain damage while pregnant!

My friend's sister in law was delivering a 9lbs baby and was pushing at 8cm. At that point she wasnt dialating anymore and they decided to do a Csection. As they gave her the anestesia, her heart stopped for 10 minutes. They induced a coma and will be waking her up tomorrow to see if she has any brain damage.

My question is: Is this possible, to be brain dead? And how common is it? Can someone wake up and be fine? Does anyone have any info about it?

I appreciate it because we are very worried about her. Thanks.

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes ppl wake up from a coma all the time and are fine. my thoughts & prayers are with her! GOD BLESS!!
    Twinky

Answer by Twinky at 10:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Going that long without oxygen can definitely cause brain damage.

Best wishes to you all.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• if they induced the coma then they may have been able to do it in time to save her. However, if her heart was stopped for that long, lack of oxygen could have caused brain damage. I truly hope she is ok when they wake her up and just had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Make sure she (or whoever is responsible for her) finds out what kind of anesthesia they used and make sure nobody ever uses it on her again!!! Next time she might not be as lucky.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• ILL PRAY FOR THEM ! ! GOOD LUCK ! !
    Anonymous

• I appreciate the prayers and comments back to this question. We are still waiting to hear from the doctor on how she is doing. My fingers are crossed because this is such a tragic store to not be able to see your baby right after it was born. Thank you again!
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2010