Kids and dining out...

Am I totally unreasonable in my belief that it is possible to eat at nicer restaurants with your children? I hope not. Ever since my sister had her kids (8, 4 & 1 1/2) she & my mom think we have to go to places where the kids can play. I have kids also (12 & 8) & it has never stopped me from going to any restaurant. It's not like your sentenced to dinners out at McDonalds till your kids are older. I'm tired of whenever my mom comes to town either having to host a get together at my house or going to eat fast food. My kids acted right at sit down restaurants, & if they didn't they got disciplined. How else are they suppose to learn how to act right? Sorry just had to vent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you are doing A-OK!! My kids have behavioural issues, so I am stuck at fast food/Chuck E. Cheese, etc., but I was a good kid and I remember my folks taking me out to eat at really nice places when I was little, so if you can do it, do it!! More power to ya!
    QueenTo4Kings

Answer by QueenTo4Kings at 10:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• no you aren't unreasonable! mine are only 2 & 4 and we eat at nice restaurants. I giggle a bit when we walk in and get seated and get evil looks from our neighbors because we brought kids, but I can't even tell you how many times we have received compliments on our kids from couples as they leave!

I'm guessing your sister's kids don't know how to behave in normal situations since they are always at the fast food places with a play yard.
    Anonymous

• no, your not doomed to mcdonalds...we have even taken our 1 year olds and 2 year old to a nice resturant on a saturday night, and they still even had crayons and colorable placemats if we wanted them!
    I wouldn't take them with me to a nice resturant on VDAY or anything, because couples usually go out to be alone and not have to think about kids, but other than that, it's totally acceptable!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yeah but here's the deal: My kids are well behaved at restaraunts, we eat out once a month at a decent place with a 1,2,and 4yo they know they'll get removed from the table for acting out. However the watitress who seats us will seat us around a bunch of screamming outta control brats who's parents do nothing about the kid climbing under my kids chair. Can't win really. I Think they have a kids section sometimes, even if they don't come out and say it.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I have taken my son to fancy restaurants all the time. Props to you too.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I take my 3 yo to Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Chilis. As long as the place AT LEAST has a children's menu I will go there. I won't do Cheesecake Factory, for they don't have a kid's Menu. There is nothing there she will eat.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i have also always taken my daughter to any resturant, since she was born..and i have never had any problems with her..there was one time she was fussy..so i took her outside for 2 minutes, calmed her down and then she was fine (she was 4 months old at the time).
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 10 months and hubby and I take her out to eat all the time. Waiters and waitresses usually love seeing her at the nicer restaurants and she is always an angel. I think it is great to let them experience eating out!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• If we are going to a chain restaurant like Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden or Tokyo Steakhouse we take our son he is very well behaved and enjoys eating there. They have kids menus and generally are family friendly.  Our favorite Italian place we never take our son to it is fine dining and they do not have a children's menu.  People go to this place to see what new creations the chef has come up with, the drinks and to have a very romantic and quiet dining experience.  Parents can bring their kids but I have never seen any it is a given when you walk in it is not a family friendly place.  I think children need to learn manners and how to dine in public but it should be at a family friendly environment.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Depends on the kids. Our 6yo behaves pretty well in restaurants. Sometimes he forgets about voice volume but we remind him to keep it down. We have gone out to eat with my BIL and family and his kid, only 6 months younger that ours, acts like a complete hooligan and it's totally embarrassing to be in a restaurant with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2010