Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax returns and cash assistance

I have heard that the state can take all or a portion of your tax returns when you're on cash assistance and / or food stamps. Is this true or not ? I am from the state of CT.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • I am not sure of your state but I live in Ohio. The rules to filing is you have to have an income other than unemployment or cash assistance to file which you are probably already aware of. Child support doesn't even count if you receive that. In my state I do not believe this is the case or I know a few people who wouldn't get anything back including myself. I was on maternity leave with no income and had to use cash assistance until my child support kicked in 4 months later. We were on food stamps for about 6 months. There might be some kind of rules for your state. would be the first place i would look to get your questions answered I hope this helped.

    Answer by zayners at 12:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

  • NO. they can not & do not do that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.