my 3 week old wont poop on his own

My son will not go poop on his own, i always know he has to go when he starts getting cranky ad pushes his legs out but no matter how hard he tries he cant go o his own so for me to get him to go i have to check his temperature with the rectal thermometer and most of the time that does the trick but not all the time so sometime i will have to suppository him. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did u do to help him or her go on their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• firstly is he breast or bottle fed. Breast fed babies can go for 10 days without pooping. You MUST stop the rectal thermometer stuff, that's crazy. He's only 3 weeks old! If you seriously think he can't do it alone, take him to the dr, otherwise leave his poor little tush alone. It is normal for them to fuss and get cranky, grunt and even cry with a bowel movement when they are this old, he will figure it out, but you can do horrible damage to muscles and the anal passage with what you are doing. No doctor would recommend you doing that with him.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I agree stop with that and take that poor child to the doctor.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He was exclusively breastfed. I talked to his pediatrician and this is what she told me. Newborns have virtually no stomach muscles so when they seem like they are pushing really really hard, there is really no force behind it. Also, they close their sphincters when they push because they don't quite yet know how to go poo. So they are pushing and pushing but nothing can come out because they've tightened their little butts closed. I actually saw my son doing this. She did recommended taking his temperature if he seemed to be having ALOT of trouble and we did that a few times, but not often. He will figure it out on his own, but you do need to let him learn. By taking his temperature EVERY time, it is not teaching him anything. By 2 1/2 months old my son was going easily. It is completely normal. And unless his poop is dry and pellet like, he is not constipated.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Yikes. Stop doing that! Breastfed babies can go several days even as long as ten days without a poo because breastmilk doesn't leave much waste. Breastmilk also has a natural laxative effect so babies who are BF are generally fine.

If your baby is formula fed, the formula may be causing a problem - trouble pooping and bad gas is a side effect of formula- (but you have to give the baby a chance to go!) of constipation so you will likely have to switch formulas to find one that the baby can tolerate better. You can bicycle the legs to help if the baby is having constipation trouble, but before you continue with the rectal stimulation go to your doctor if you are unsure.

If you are formula feeding you can also, as an option, switch back to breastmilk.  http://www.kellymom.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010