need help

what does the epidural feel like and when do the take it out? and do they give you a shot after you give birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only felt a little prick when I had my epidural. I got it when I was 4 cm dilated and my pain level was probably an 8/10. They take it out after you've delivered, but it takes a while for the numbness to wear off. It took me quite a while, and my right leg stayed numb longer than my left leg. My husband had to help me go to the bathroom!

I don't believe you get a shot after giving birth-- at least I didn't. I took some ibuprofen and tylenol to help with the pain, which, to me, was worse than being in labor at 4 cm. Had I known how painful it was going to be, I think I would have asked for something stronger!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• When you get it they have you curl around your belly as far a you can, and poke a bit on your back to find the spot to put it in. Then give you a shot of some numbing in your back, feels like a bee sting, and then they shoot a test dose of the medicatio into it, to make sure you aren't going to have a reaction. Then they put in the catheter, and a whole bunch of tape to make sure it doesnt get taken out. When the put the catheter in you can have a sharp pain go down one leg, but it is very important that you stay still during the whole thing, even if you are having contractions, you have got to stay still. They turn it off as you are pushing, and take it out soon after the baby is born, it doesnt feel like anything when they take it out. When you have one you also have to be hooked up to the blood pressure cuff and taken every 15 minutes, and a bag of fluids. And it can make your blood pressure lower, so watch out for it
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Most hospitals give you loritabs or percocet for after the delivery, in a pill though, no more shots after you have the baby.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I had a bit of IV meds before my epidural so I didn't feel anything. By the time you get it though you will probably be in so much pain from the labor you won't care about the small poke. It is a larger needle used to put it in and thread the catheter in your back but they give you a numbing shot first so you don't feel the bigger one.
    Mine was left in until the day after I had my daughter but I also needed about 4.5 inches of internal stiches so they left it in a while to help with that pain.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• im scaried that its not going to work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It definitely works! Usually they give you an initial dose and then you have a button you press when you need more pain killers (it won't let you OD). When they put it in you usually feel numb within about a minute. On rare occasions they do "leak" and need to be redone if there is time, but that is rare.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• everyone in my family was telling that with the epi you could end you with back pain and you could be numb for the rest of your life and i dont want that
    Anonymous