Pneumonia

My 13 month old has pneumonia and is taking albuterol treatments along with antibiotics to get better. I was wondering is there anyway to calm him at night after his albuterol treatment? He normally goes to bed around 8 or 9 but because he is taking an albuterol treatment (around 6-7) he isn't going to bed til closer to 11 now. I can't give it any sooner b/c he wakes up around 9 or 10 and gets a treatment after breakfast which usually makes it almost 11 am but he isn't suppose to take another treatment until 6 hours later which puts it around 4-6pm. Any suggestions on how to make the energy burst from the steriods in the albuterol decrease faster?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• massage! I am a massage therapist of 10 years. This will help most anyone calm down. Try massaging at least his hands, feet and head if he won't let you do anything else. Those areas are where all the nerve endings are and can really help if you only have a little time to do it. Use slow, moderate pressure use the pads of your thumbs or finger tips for those areas. You can also do reflexology on his feet in the location that pertains to the lungs (the ball of the foot) and it should help with his pneumonia as well. You can find charts on the internet for reflexology.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My son has asthma and we had to do his treatments at that age after he went to sleep, had dad rocking him and me holding the mask over his face. If the steroids are making him hyper, maybe a warm bath right after the treatment. I would suggest milk too, but that might make the mucos thicker. Hopefully it wont last to much longer, hope he feels better soon.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• you should be able to give the albuteral every 4 to 6 hours from any of my expereince. both my SKs have asthma and my daughter hasn't been officially diagnosed, but its probable that she will as well. She had pneumonia a month or so ago. She is 19 months now. She was also put on a steriod at the time. once the steriod kicked in we didn't have to keep doing the albuteral.

but if you were told to keep doing the albuteral, i would try maybe closer to the 4 hour time. other than that. i dont have much advice. i was lucky that my daughter didnt get hyped up with the albuteral.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2010