home schooling

how do you get started in home schooling, where do you buy the supplies and books, and can you enroll anytime of the year in a home schooling school, please help wanting to get started.

naynayskids

Asked by naynayskids at 12:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• HSLDA.org is the best place to go. It will have your state laws and you will be able to know what to do and where to go to get any permission slips signed and whatnot.

As for supplies, depends on what program you use. I dont use a set curriculum like many do so I bought books from Amazon.com and Walmart and there are many free sites that have worksheets you can print off for various topics.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• There are several homeschooling groups on cafemom, they might be a good resource for you!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I made the transition to home-educating my DD last year after a bad experience with the public school system. First I would advise looking up your states home school laws. Each state is different and expects different things. And then you can buy supplies and books online or they are available at many fine teaching/teacher stores. If you are in one of the many states that does not require you to register do anyways. . . it gives you more benefits tax-wise if you do. . . You should be able to do this at any time. We left the public school already into the school year and began on our own. . .best decision I ever made!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Check out K12 for a school in your area if you are looking for free home schooling on line. We love it. There are times when we feel overwhelmed but my kids are learning things that the other kids in their grade level in the local schools are not learning! Other wise check out happy homeschoolers on here. There are a lot of great people on there that will help you out.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Like one of the PP said, go to the HSLDA website first, www.hslda.org to find out your state laws on homeschooling. Yes, you can start anytime. The sky is literally the limit when it comes to curriculum, as a matter of fact it can be VERY overwhelming. The internet is full of free resources for homeschoolers. One of my favorite sites is www.homeschoolshare.com. I'm the group owner of Christian Homeschoolers here on Cafemom. Come join us for advice and encouragement!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• check your state laws and join happy homeschoolers. Go to the library and get out some books on homeschooling.
    Anonymous