does my baby have colic or not?

so he's 3 months old now, and he's still fussy. he does a lot better on the soy milk than on others and if he gets ANY milk products, like yogurt drinks or anything he gets really bad stomach pains from it. he really doesnt scream bloody murder most of the time as long as we are careful to avoid milk, but sometimes he does and he spits up a lot and is just generally like gassy and uncomfortable. some ppl say that overstimuli makes colic worse but for him he calms down a lot when and after being out in public, we have even taken him to the movies. he loves watching movies on netflix and just stares and stares. so i don't get it. it's all contridictary. oh and his stomach gets hard sometimes, usually the same times that he screams really bad. also sometimes all that calms him is a bottle. any advice? is it colic?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is EXACTLY like that. doctors told me he has colic, i don't believe it for a second. i think it has something to do with formula, maybe allergies. i'm taking mine back to the doctor ( i switched doctors after the first one said colic ) in my opinion, colic is a big over used word for "i don't know". i did some research and found that almost 50% of the time it's called colic it ends up being something else, and they don't find out until later on because they jumped to lazy conclusions.

here is one link, i can't find all of them that i found, i think the one about the 50% was on some sort of parenting website:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_colic
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• More than likely its not colic. A colic baby will be crying from time awake to time asleep...Been there...It could be that your lil one is extremely gassy...Have you tried gas drops after every meal and at bedtime...Try rubbing his tummy and back about the same time. It helps my lil one, but not every baby is the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Well not to be bitchy or anything but it seems like your missing the obvious. You say when he has milk products it makes him uncomfortable and gassy, then obviously he's either lactose intolerant or something that has to do with milk. Yogurt products for a 3 month old?? Uh I think he's too young for that. If you know it happens with certain foods then don't give it to him, find an alternative that will give him the same nutrients he needs. Of course he's going to cry if your giving him something that he can't handle. Wouldn't you?? I have a very sensitive so does my SO and unfortunately our DD does to. Its up to you to figure out what kind of foods, like milk products and stop feeding him that. It can lead to major digestive problems. Talk to your pediatrician and they will tell you the same. My neive was colic and man oh man was that a fussy kid! We know she was the definition of colic. GL!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Oh an BTW I remember my pediatrician did mention if your babies stomach is hard that's a bad sign. I forgot why but its not a good things. Please call your pediatrician, I know your looking for answers but I really think if you told your pedi all of tis they would be pointing you in a better direction. If they don't switch pedi please for your baby.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• That doesn't sound like colic. My DS had it, bad, but he didn't have a lot of the issues you listed. The hardening stomach worries me too. I'd suggest taking him back to the ped, or going to a new one.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• well, colic is more like the baby starts to cry after the feeding, for hours ,the baby's face is red, his hands are clentched into littl;e fists , and his legs are always kicking out straight.. hands and feet are always cold. If none of this is there,then take your baby to another doctor and he might be able to see what your baby has. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• A 3 month old should only be fed breast milk or formula, nothing else. Why has your infant had yogurt already?

Colic isn't a clear cut illness that you can test for. A diagnosis of colic just means your baby is fussy and has tummy troubles and the doctors don't know why. My neice was diagnosed with colic. She was formula fed and it was discovered when she was 9 years old, through allergy testing, that she is allergic to milk and soy. So, her "colic" was actually a food allergy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• (OP) i don't *deliberatey* feed him cow's milk products. it was an accident because what i fed him had milk in it and i didn't think. in my family we have always started feeding babies the "1st foods" and cereal and such younger than doctors "recommend". (i think momma knows better than doctors usually and i go with what feels right) it as actually pretty common where i live to do so, many an experienced mother around my area will actually ask you "have you started feedin that baby yet?" and my son actually does a lot better when he has some cereal or applesauce in his tummy. applesauce and juices are the only thing that helps his constipation. karo syrup wasn't workin for him. he is on SOY formula but he still has issues, regardless of being fed anything other than that. my pedi just says its prolly colic. i had to switch to soy myself and found out i was right. i just wanted to know if it sounded like he has colic or not
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2010