Baptism?

Does who performs a Baptism matter?

For example I know the Catholic church considers most Christian church Baptisms as "right" and therefore if you were baptised Baptist, you do not have to be rebaptized to become Catholic. (What matters is it was done with what they deem to be the right understanding of the trinity and it is done in the names of father, son, holy spirit).

So what I am wondering is, could I baptize my daughter myself in the bathtub, in the name of the father, son, holy spirit, and have it be a true baptism? Would it be a baptism that would count in your church, or within your denomination?

Or are their certain things that must be done for Baptism, and does it matter who performs the actual baptism in your belief system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• me as a baptist think its wouldnt count because you have to confess Jesus is God in front of people.Then you can baptize them in the name of the father,son,holy spirit. In my denomination the preacher has to do it, simply because he is trained in being a pastor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• *OP here I am not asking because I want to baptise my DD like that. I don't believe in that for sure. I am just wondering what people would accept as valid.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It's pointless to baptise a baby anyhow. The person who is being baptised needs to know what's going on and a baby can't. I can find scriptures to back that up if you're interested.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• in my church you must be of an age to make a decision to be baptised we do not do infant baptisms. it dosen't matter where who does the baptism in our church except it should have some witnesses and the person being baptised has to have decided to be baptised
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 4:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• If you are interested in baptising and raising your child in a faith that believes in the teachings of Jesus then go to a church and have them baptised. Yes technically you can baptise them yourself in an emergency, but by doing this in the way you indicated above you are missing the most important reasons for baptism.  In the Catholic church Baptism is one of the holy sacraments and not something to be taken lightly.  

Decide how you want to raise your child and contact a church you want to raise them in that faith.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It is my understanding that in a pinch, ANYONE can baptize...at least for Catholics, I think.

My Catholic mother worked as a nurse in the ER at a Catholic hospital for 40 yrs. She's baptized a few babies (at the parents request, of course) in her day. As has Sr. Barbara Ann, the little nun who used to run the hospital. And with drinking fountain water in a paper cup.

Now, I am not learned enough in Catholic doctrine as to say whether or not those baptisms were "valid"...in the end that's between the person and their god.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Baptism for us is considered an important ordinance, and has to be done by immersion, and performed by someone who has been ordained with the priesthood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Our church does not baptize infant. They believe a child should be old enough to understand what is going on, and what they are doing.
    However, anyone can baptize (well, they do need to be a baptized believer). It does not have to be a pastor.
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 11:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• As others have said, for Catholics in cases of emergency if someone is near death anyone can baptize someone (even an athiest could baptize someone) because baptism is something God does for us, not something we do for God. It's not dependent on the person doing the baptizing. If your child was not in danger of dying and you bapzied her in the sink, the CC would consider it a "valid" baptism but would be "illiicit" (against the norms/rules). That's why Catholics shouldn't go around baptizing all the infants they see to "save" them. If there's no record of the baptism and the child grew up and wanted to practice Catholicism, the CC might do a "conditional baptism" - just to make sure a valid baptism was done. Which basically saying something like "if you haven't been baptized before then I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit".
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• i dont believe in "infant baptism". true baptism is immersion by a person choosing to be baptized, knowingly repenting of their sins and dedicating their lives to god.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2010