What is your HOME Making Style?

If you have a home making style, what is it? How did you learn? Do you feel valuable when you are on task? Do you work outside the home and/or attend in addition to being a HOME Maker?

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 3:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll take a stab at answering your question. I think that my "style" of homemaking is relaxed, but organized. I have specific days that I like to get things done and in what order, but am flexible if I need to make room for other things I want or need to do. I like to keep things as simple & uncomplicated as possible, & that extends to everything in my life, from how I decorate my home to the types of meals I prepare and even the way I dress. Simple does not have to mean boring or drab, either, but rather uncluttered & having only just enough stuff to do what I want to do. I learned to keep house from my mother, but I figured out my own current style b/c, unlike dear mom, I hate having tons of knicknacks & the like to clean. I enjoy a clean & tidy home & do feel good once I've finished chores for the day. I am currently unemployed (thanks to downsizing), but am looking.
    Anonymous

• You answered perfectly! Thank you.

I ask because I grew up feeling a little like Cinderella, the only person to clean. My mom was a bra burner and thought out loud..."if they do not like it they do not have to come over" It was a total rebellion she was undergoing. I was on my own by 13 and was a live in baby sitter/housekeeper for a woman on welfare. I lived in the washroom and she did not have money for "things" so my cleaning was very basic.

later in life I married a messy and was always trying to keep on top of things. Paper seemed to become my doom. Paper plus laundry.

My personal style choice is soft, simple, feminine, vintage. But I have decorated my home the exact opposite. It is modern/comfort.

I have been one to do most of the caretaking of my home and neglected really teaching my daughters. That came because I prefer to clean alone. Now they are 13 and 16 and I have got to get with the program.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 8:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2010