I want to read the bible to my kids. I read the stories...now for more...which book should I start with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• start in either genesis and go through the bible retouching alll the old stories again or begin in luke and start with jesus birth. if you use the gospels i would jumparound a bit to keep the stories of jesus in a chronical order
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 4:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• If they are very young, start in Genesis. There are wonderful stories to inspire the imagination there. Creation, Noah's ark, Joseph and his Coat. then to Exodus and the story of Moses up to the Ten Commandments. Then skip to 1 Samuel to read them the story of David.
    If you have girls read Ruth and Esther and of Deborah the Judge. Boys as well, but some aren't always into the "girly stuff".

If they are old enough read them a Proverb a day and ask them what it means.

Then move to the new Testament. A combination of Luke and John.

And make sure you are reading a translation they can understand. I suggest the NLT or even the Message if they are really young.

AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 9:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I'd start with Psalms. Then go to the Gospels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• David and Goliath, Noah and the Ark, Joshua and Jericho.....anything you can remember hearing as a child is a good place to start. Genesis is a good book to read from, as are the gospels, and Job would be good as a sort of dramatic reading for older kids, same with Esther and Ruth.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thanks. For the input. They are preteens. I am reading to them because they actually asked me to. We homeschool and they love to be read to. I am going to start with the New Testament. They have heard the old stories. I want to keep them learning. :)
    And yes, I do want to influence their choice. That is my job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2010