Do you have carpeting? What are the pros and cons of carpeting? I have had hardwood floors for so long, but it is COLD!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would bring in rugs...nice cozy rugs over laying carpeting down. I can not tell you how much I wish we had wood instead of carpet. I vacuum and it is disgusting the amt of dirt I throw out every time.

Big yummy rugs are fun and versatile. (and less expensive)
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I agree with SFerber.
    We hate wall-to-wall carpeting. You are stuck with the same color for many years and it can get boring. It wears down after time from traffic, vacumming, and cleaning. Dust and dust mites collect in it and stay deep down no matter how good of a vacuum you have. If you have any pets and they have any type of accident, it won't matter how well you get that stain out and how good of a product you use to clean it with, the stain will come back years later as a dark shadow that will drive you crazy and you can't get rid of it. This is because any moisture from their bodily fluids seeps through the carpet, the padding, and down to the floor underneath and never dries...it sits there and festers until the only place it has to go is up to the surface of the carpet.
    When we remodel, we are laying hardwood throughout and purchasing area rugs. Buy the non-slip pads for underneath so they don't move.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:00 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I have to agree even tho carpets are warmer it is some much better to have hardwood floors. They clean up nicer and are easier to clean up spills.. We are going to try to build our house this summer and going to use hardwood floors.. I like them so much better then carpets
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• think dirt and germs in carpets and your hardwood floors will look a whole lot better

Answer by admckenzie at 8:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Carpets are unhygienic. I wish we had wood. Rugs are easy to replace when they get dirty. Carpets hold in filth. The pad under them is impossible to clean. I shampoo mine every week and I hate it. Also, the resale value of wood floors is much much higher.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No no no.. do not get carpet over cold feet!! Get area rugs.

Honestly -- I despise my carpeting. I've been tempted to rip it up myself and when SO gets home say "oops guess we need new flooring!!"

My parents had tile and wood floors.. it was sooooo much easier to clean.. especially with pets (mud, vomit, etc.) and kids (mud, vomit, etc.) lol. It takes me 4-5 hours to shampoo all the carpeting in our small house. It used to take me an hour and a half to vaccuum area rugs and mop all of my parents floors in a large home. If area rugs got too nasty you just threw them out and bought new. And now it usually takes my mom even less time to do the floors because she usually steam cleans them instead of mopping now.
    Noooo carpeting. Carpeting is evil..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• We slowly tore out all of our carpeting, put in hardwoods, cork and bamboo, and now my allergies are 95% better.

I would just use area rugs. Truthfully, I don't have any rugs as the cats just destroy them. The hardwoods can be cold, but I always wear shoes or slippers for foot support anyway.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I HATE Carpet. We have carpet left in our daughter's bedroom/closet and our bedroom/closet. That will slowly be changed to hardwood flooring. While hardwoods are cold in the winter, I just wear slippers or socks. Carpeting is horrible for allergies, hard to keep clean, and need to be replaced at some point.

I can vacuum my hard surfaces so quickly. And if something spills on it, so much easier to clean than the carpeting.
    Keep the hardwoods, get floor rugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Thank you! I guess I just needed to hear my reasons for pulling out the carpet originally again. I appreciate the feedback!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2010