Dog question for dog owners

Hi Ladies, I know I may need to take her to the vet; but any ideas on what to be prepared for? My female dog has had a weird fishy spell coming from her; all over...a strange fish smell. I keep her indoors, clean,etc. so not sure what it is. Anyone else has had that problem? It just started about a month ago and I cant get rid of that smell, shes 2 yrs old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pets

• That sound like Anal glands. Most dogs can empty them themselves but a lot of them need help. I hope they have not abcessed now since you have been smelling it for some time. A lot of dogs need to have them emptied every month so you should get her into the vet and have them done. Most vets will teach you how to do it if it becomes a regular occurance. Not a fun thing to do but not hard.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• she either has a vaginal infection, pyometra or her anal glands need to be cleaned. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I agree with anal glands or infection.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I agree with anal glands or it could be an ear infection. Some bad ear infections can be really smelly but usually not a fishy smell. Take a look and see if they are red and or inflamed.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Anal glands.. Just had to take my dog to the vet because everytime she got nervous or upset she started smelling HORRIBLE...
    Anonymous