Does anyone else wish they could "do " their first child again?

I have four kids and By number 4 I'm such a different Mom than with the first. I wish I could do the first one or two over again, with the new Mommy. I feel a bit like they were ripped off being the " practice" kids.
Any one understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I understand... I have three kids and feel like I was much harder on my first for no real reason. I have loosened up a lot and have realized that a lot of things I got on my son's back for were really not worth the battle in the first place. There are definitely things with my first where I said "I won't do it that way again!" so in many ways it does seem like he was the practice child. I do wish I knew then what I know now when I was parenting him!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I only have one child. Though she is wonderful just the way she is of course there are things I'd love to be able to redo. We all make mistakes though and I don't dwell on my mistakes. I've learned from them and they won't be repeated.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I know exactly how you feel! I have 3 kids and i feel like I get better every time but I guess that's the way of life. My son was babied too much and hes 8 now so my hubby wants him to act tougher but he is still young.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 6:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OP here, I'm not dwelling on mistakes, but I wish I had them over to enjoy all the gorgeousness instead of worrying that they would catch some obscure disease! **sigh**
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• funny, because DH and i were just talking about this the other day. we were very young when we had our first, and not in a good place financially. 3 kids later, we are older, more stable, and way more patient. but, we did the best we could do and i have great kids! i wouldnt want to go back and change anything just in case something i did helped my older two become the kids they are today. my youngest is only 11 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Oh boy do I. I have two kids both girls and I see how much differently the second one is to the first one. Not sure why, but maybe I gave more affection to the second one than I did with the first. Hard to tell. I guess you could say the first one was an experiemental child to make sure you do things right.
    BGM304

Answer by BGM304 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I do understand. My husband and I expected our first son to be perfect. We were really too hard on him in many ways. I have apologized to him since he's been an adult, telling him that we really should not have to "count" the first one, since he is the one on which we had to learn all our lessons. He was kind of our practice child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I have been feeling like that for the past year. I have 4 kids and sometimes I feel bad for my first child because I was so different. But I guess that's part of being a mom. You live and you learn.
    JitterBean

Answer by JitterBean at 9:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• no, for some reason i fell into the mom thing easily..... i never worried about stuff and i didn't do anything different between #1 and #3
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I wish my 2nd and 3rd were as good as my first. They got worse each time...LOL
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 10:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2010