Should I be concerned that he hasn't met a milestone??

My son turned 4months today (the 15th). He was 3 weeks early but has reached all of his milestones early as well, except for one. When on his tummy, he does not lift himself up. He barely gets his head off the ground before letting it slam back onto his tummy time pad. He will not use his arms at all. When we encourage him to lift on his arms he screams bloody murder! When we hold him his neck & upper body strength seems amazing, but not while laying down! At first I wasn't too concerned, but now that he has reached 4months & still does not seem to be close to lifting himself at all I am very concerned. Is this something I should be worrying myself over or is it normal for a delay like this??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 6:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He'll be fine, please don't worry, those milestones are there so the clinic sister has something to check LOL, Babies range hugely on milestones, some will walk at 9 months, some stay on their butt til 18 months. He's screaming blue murder cause he doesn't like it - great indication that there is an active little boy with a temper in there. If he can hold his head while sitting/ standing in you lap you have nothing to worry about. Tummy time is all about strengthening back muscles, so a little time each day is good, but don't stress out about it. Babies in Asia are never put on the ground for tummy time, and they all do just fine.
    Good Luck Mommy
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Like I told my DD when my grandchild was this age. Put her on the floor She will start doing the crawling thing evenutally. Your baby will get the hang of it eveventually. Do not worry so much.

Answer by louise2 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Hi,
    The only time that you really have to be concerened about milestones is right around the age of 2. My son is in the Autism Spectrum (he's 17 now). As a baby he met all of his milestones but around the time he turned 2 is when it became noticeable. As far as what your talking about, not all babies reach those milestones at the same time. While you should be aware of things like this, I don't think you have anything to worry about!!!!!!! Take care.:-)
    lauraeliza36

Answer by lauraeliza36 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My boys had the laziest necks you ever saw- neither lifted their heads until 5 months or later- it freaked me out-but since my ped was not worried, I tried to let it go and eventually- they came around. One milestone is no big deal. If he continues to miss milestones or if your ped becomes concerned, then I would worry. Its so hard when you have friends with kids the same age or people that say, really he can not do______ yet? But, all kids are different and he should be just fine. Take care
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Babies don't like to be forced--that's why he screms. Offer lots of floor time. Let baby explore belly time to their tolerance level even if that is only a minute. The rest of the time let him play with toys on his back. Forget other kids. Development happens at different paces.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2010