My 8 year old son is still alittle whiney and sometimes acts babyish. What can I do to get him out of that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wait for him to grow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I know what I do with my 5 and 3 yr. old has been working. I tell them that when the talk with whiny voice, I can't understand them. That if they need or want something, then they need to ask politely. If they just have a plain old bad attitude that they won't snap out of, then I send them to their room and tell them they can come out when the are ready to be happy. Maybe the will help, but I know 8 yr olds are a lot different than 5 yr olds. GL
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Just like my 4 year old...DO NOT respond to him unless his is speaking politely and respectfully, and you will hear him when he speaks so. Don't give in to ANYTHING that is asked for or dealt with in his whiny voice. He may whine more at first but he will learn if you stick to your guns.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Ignore them when they act like that. My 9yo likes to whine and act like the baby/victim (it's never her fault and it's not fair she has to do anything...she's a drama queen and acts like a spoiled brat although we never spoiled her). I just ignore her when she gets that way. If she actually wants something she has to act her age. That goes all the way down to my 4yo who is whiny because she is 4 (just a natural phase). If she doesn't talk like the big girl I know she is then I ignore her. If they throw tantrums they have to go to their room until they are ready to act their age.
    Either way the surest way to NOT get what you want in our house is to act like a baby and whine and throw tantrums. All that gets you is grounded to your room until you behave or the rest of the day (depending on how bad they are being).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My oldest will be 8 in a month and it DRIVES ME INSANE when he does it. I've learned to tell him ONE TIME "talk me like the 7 year old you are and not like a baby." If he doesn't, I ignore him. Yes he will whine louder sometimes and that's when he goes to his room. He's learning.....patience are a virtue, nothing something you can buy!!! (Lord knows I'd stock up if I could)
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• SOmetimes I ask, "What?" and look bewildered, and they repeat the question again with manners (pleasees) or I have to say, "that's not...how you talk to me" and get them to ask in a better way.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2010