So.....kinda freaking out.....plz open me

Did any of you have REALLY late walkers? (your kids not walking til they were older) My dd is 15 months and she can stand without holding anything for sometimes 5mins or so..but she will NOT walk. I have no doubt she can do it....but She dont want too. Its like shes scared kwim? She will walk if she is BARELY touching something (not using it for support) but she just wont walk..........should I be worried? she has been standing since she was 1 but she was pulling up and standing holding things since about 8 mo.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my nephew didn't start pulling himself up until he was 13 months old. and he didn't start walking until he was 18 months old so i honestly wouldn't worry, i know it is hard not to when at that age they aren't walking yet. both my girls were walking at 8.5 and 10 months so when i seen my nephew not walking until he was 18 months i was worried i thought something was wrong, but now that he is walking he is just fine he is almost is 19 months now i think some babies just doesn't want to do it until they are ready
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My middle DD was lazy too. She didn't walk on her own til 18 months. She would walk holding onto something but not by herself. If your child is standing and walking while holding on to things, they are just not ready for the plunge just yet. I really wouldn't worry. The average age is 12-14 months, that does not mean ALL kids are walking by that time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My son didn't walk until 17 months. We just let me go at his own pace. He didn't crawl until he was 11 months, so wasn't to surprised when he didn't walk until late. He just took off one day. He just likes to do things how he want's to do them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Two of my nieces didn't walk until they were 16 months old. It sounds like your baby is just very cautious and doesn't want to take the chance :) That's a good thing, it means you won't have to worry about her jumping off the refrigerator any time soon :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Maybe if she saw another kid her age walking that would help. My daughter has been walking since 9 months but she has a friend a month older than her that wasnt walking. When her friend saw my daughter walking she started doing it too.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Mine was 13 months .... Just keep encouraging her...They do things on their own time and sounds like he/she just needs to get that confidence going.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my dd was 17 months! she was a twin, not a preemie. dh and i think that partly b/c they were twins, they were carried and strollered about more than our other kids. but my ds is petite, and really not very strong. she is just getting good at walking up the stairs now, and she is nearly 2! different kids grow differently! don't worry! i have 4 kids, the first walked at 12 mos, the second at 14 mos, the third at 15 mos and the dd i mentioned at 17 mos. i know other kids that started at 10 mos...they are very athletic today!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2010