how do we fix bullying & school policy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son was bullied relentlessly when he was a little boy and it leaves alot of scars. We ended up sueing. We won. The district changed their policy and take bullies more seriously.

Answer by gemgem at 8:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• We have the laws but the schools don't seem to want to enforce them. What's up with that? Enforcement seems so easy to me but obviously the schools don't agree.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Bullying is horrible -I was badly bullied as a child. Schools have to have a zero tolerance bullying policy and do role playing to counteract it. The town my kids graduated high school from has a zero tolerance policy - they do not role play bullying. but if a child is bulled on or off school grounds in school activities or outside of school activities and the bullying is reported, and found to cause poor school performance the repercussions against the one who bullys is fast and hard. Police are brought in I think at the start of the investigation.

Join together somehow with other families whose children have been bullied. It's hard to do but your child needs help. What I've seen is that if special needs children are excluded from school activities and clubs then bullying in that school is real.
    In schools where special needs kids are intentionally included all around, bullying is less.

Zero tolerance and role play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• the only way is to attentive recess monitors and hall monitors and to have a no tolerance policy. and truely i do not think it will stop until some parents quit thinking it s just the way kids are.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 8:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• give kids extra credit for good behavior is a good idea..the bullies should be forced to sit through a saturday class of obedience school
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I think an overall policy of tolerance and character education does more than any "bully proofing" could ever do. A school climate that rewards good character (we have this) is such a plus. We have 7 character traits and when the kids are caught being good they get stars that can be exchanged for small tokens. We have assemblies on character put on by the local high school drama department. It takes a whole school comittment to doing right to help kids raise to the top. There will always be bullies because if its tolerated at home, its hard to break at school- but an overall school climate that values doing right goes a long way. Get involved in your school and make sure they are doing something to promote character-you will notice a huge culture shift and the bullies, although still there lose their grip!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• There have always been bullies and there will always be in the future. I was pushed and kicked by the 6th grade bully ....in the 1950's. It never changes. And bullied emotionally by "mean girls" in high school.
    I really don't see how we can do anything about it except to tell our children that they should not be the bully. And it does end eventually.
    Sue them? That is ridiculous and a symptom of society today in which people are trying to make a 'fast buck' .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• There are always going to be bullies. If it gets physical, then they have broken the law and things need to be done. However, anyone in the working world know that bullies are always there and that we have to learn to deal with them young. Children who deal with bullies in school, at a young age, are better equipped to handle the real world. I was both bullied and the bully... Both rolls played a major part in who I am today... They are a healthy part of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• my dd has been bullied/my feeling is that the schools are taken enough action or dont care enough.there is a section in the school called "no bully zone"bull crap.the school counselor told every teacherand made my dd out as the bully. what?then when something happens out for reccess the teachers says well i wasnt there.my feeling is shouldnt there be someone there.so i turned into one of those moms.i was at that school everyday.nothing was done still.even other moms from this school say its all in the benjamins(money)my thinking is how can that be...but it is...they hand pick kids for different classes.i live in a very competitive town.we are older parents.the thng is everyone knows what is going on.nobody does anything.they dont want to fight the new money...SAD
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• My town everyone is related-teachers-principles-school guards-secretary-unless you know someone your not getting in, -so you can't win, especially if everyone is afraid to speak out. I am moving as soon as I find a place. They walk all over everyone, here-even the cops. My daughter is still bullied, by the same girl-she is called Bit... in the halls of school, at lunch. I tell my daughter, they are jealous-to ignore them, and most of the girls friends say it too her-she ignores it.

Nothing works!!! If you figure it out let me know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 16, 2010