Should I be concerned that my 11 3/4 month old doesn't really say any words yet? He just makes sound effects.

He says "mamamama" but he says it all the time and not really in any correlation to me - he says "boobaa" and "dadadadada" too but they're not words they're just babbles not associated with his daddy and boobbaa is random too.. I know they're supposed to say 2 words by 1, right?

But what about sound effects instead of words?? He says his own version of "vroom" when he plays with his cars/trucks etc and he makes a "moowww" sound when he touches the cats / sees a cat in a book. He also goes "Kkkkoooooo" when he plays with his little space shuttle. Are these words?? Or not?

I keep seeing people saying their babies are saying words by 8-9 months and I assume they mean actual words in association with people/items that are CLEARLY words not just babbles or sound effects.. right?

I am confused I guess. Would you be concerned or not??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• their version of sounds is a great start. mama, dada, booba are great examples that he's practicing bilabial sounds. continue the game of repeating sounds by including the /p/, ex. poopa, papa. when he says a "word" and is looking at something, repeat his word while picking up the object or pointing to it where your head is close to the object. he might smile and think "WOW! She speaks my language!" LOL! Consider teaching him ASL.

Also, if you're child isn't saying more than mama, papa or babbling sounds that have no meaning by 18 mos, then refer to your "regional center" so they can evaluate him and see if he needs a speech therapist :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• well my dd said lots of words by 1 but you would have to know her language to understand her. I'm sure it sounded like babble to others. Just work with him.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• No. Babbling different sounds is pre-talking and perfectly normal for a baby this age. Also, if he consistently uses the same sound to mean the same thing, then those ARE words (pronunciation will come later). If he's not saying several understandable words by 18 months and obviously understanding some of the words you say to him then have him tested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• no, boys are slower to talk than girls, and i found the first kid is really slow too (compared to their siblings). i wouldn't worry, my first son and my nephew didn't really say much until 2 1/2 or even closer to 3. then overnight they just started talking well..... now they won't stop talking LOL
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• It is not uncommon, or any indication of a problem, as long as their hearing is known to be fine, for children to not talk much at all until after 3 years of age.

It's amazing how hard it is to tell how long ago you learned to talk. Sooner is not better in any way than later.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:22 PM on Feb. 16, 2010