why do some have lent and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow that's a redundant question.

Lent is to give up something important to show devotion to the Lord for giving up His life for all mankind. At least that is my understanding of it, but I'm not Catholic. I don't do lent.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:50 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• lent is a christian observation of the events during the 40 days before easter (when Jesus arose from the dead). it starts on ash wednesday, and usually u go to church extra for lenten services to learn about why jesus died for our sins, etc.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• OP here, sorry i meant when do some have lent and why? please forgive me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• to show how much you love god
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• if you dont do lent, is that bad? would you not inherit God's kingdom? If you show Him much love every other way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I believe mostly denominational churches observe Lent. The church I attend, an independent Christian church, does not observe Lent. Observing Lent is not a commandment.
    rosiecotton

Answer by rosiecotton at 11:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• tradition.
    Anonymous

• Lent is about preparing ourselves for Easter with Christ's death and resurrection. It's about taking the time to renew one's faith - so churches do that together to support each other in this quest. From a Catholic perspective, we don't think that it's a sin if non-Catholics don't celebrate Lent. However, I do think it really is a wonderful oppportunity for people to take advantage of.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2010