Scheduled induction...what should I expect?

So what will happen? I honestly thought I would have delivered by now so I didn't ask my doc. I know can do an IV but what is the gel? Anyone with info on what to expect or your experiences would be great. I have delivered twice already but they both came on their own. I don't think this one is going to budge without a little help....

khedy

Asked by khedy at 9:58 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• when i was induced, they used cervadil, i went into labor for 12 hrs and didnt dilate at all, i wound up with a c-section. some people feel their contractions are stronger when induced, but i felt less pain than with my first one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• You can say you don't want it and want baby to come on its own. How far along are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I will be 41 wks 4 days that day. I asked for the latest possible day and that was it. She will not let me go into 42 weeks and I agree with my doc on this one.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Then good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Wow...thanks for your help.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I had 3 inductions, 2 were scheduled. I went into the hospital the night before and they inserted the gel in hopes it would thin the cervix and start labor. I was given sleeping pills to keep me off my feet atleast 8 hours to allow the gel to work. It didnt work on me but have friends who it did work on. The next morning I was given pitocin in an IV. It started contractions. Around 3 hours later they popped my water bag and my daughter was born 2 hours later. On another occasion they popped my water bag and gave me pitocin after that. Your best bet is to make a list of questions and ask your doctor when you get there. You can always opt out of what they ask, and go straight to pitocin or a water bag being popped. Never forget its your body and baby.

Answer by gemgem at 10:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• I was induced with my first and my third. With my first I went in the night before already dilated to a 2. That night they used cervidil which is put inside you to help your cervix soften. Then next morning I was given Pitocin through IV at 6am and by 11:42 I had my baby. No problmes at all.

My 2nd came on her own

My 3rd I was induced at 41 weeks. Went in at 5am already dilated to a 2 on my own, they started Pit at 7 and I had my LO at 12:17.

Everyone reacts different to being induced, I was a good candidate for it and had no problems. Just because I had or good experience or someone else ended up with a C-section doesnt mean you will have the same experience. Do what you feel is right and go with it. Good Luck!

Oh... Pit contractions are a lot stronger than regular contractions so I would ask for some type of pain med after they break your water.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 10:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• Wow...thanks for your help.

Sorry but I am a firm believer in when baby is ready baby will come. So that was my help. I don't think you wanted me to preach to you about waiting till baby is ready. I can tell you could care less and going to do it anyways. So why waste my time. Plus I have never had it done so can't help you any more. Good luck with the induction.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• <<<<<<<>>>>>>>.

While this is very true, there are certain points where its life or death to the mama or baby. I had Preclampsia with my first and my blood pressure was so high I was at risk for seizures and all sorts of bad stuff. With my 3rd I was 41 weeks and baby wasnt growing and she wasnt dropping and things were not adding up. When she was born she had the cord wrapped around her neck
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 10:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• and there was a blod clot in her cord. I was told later that if she had stayed in a few more days she would have died. So there are times where induction is a must. However I dont agree with it if its just mama not wanting to be pregnant anymore.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 10:39 AM on Feb. 16, 2010