I bought a 700GB external hard drive and add it to my computer. Problems.....

My computer added it as F: drive, external hard drive. I've had it about a year. I put a LOAD of pics on it and it had 689GB of memory left. Something happened and the other day "My Computer" is showing F: as local disk. Properties showed o memory left and 0 memory used. (Like nothing.) When I click on it, it asks to "Format" is and says it will delete all the files. I didn't do this. Now, I have unplugged and plugged it back. F: is gone and G: showed up as a Removable Disk drive & it tells me to insert a disk. Hello????? What happened & what can I do about it? Where's my pics?

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 10:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• All I can say is don't format it or you will lose anything that is on it. My hubby had a similar problem with his memory stick and we had to find an older computer to open up the files and view them on. Do you have another computer you can try on? If so see about doing that, remove them to that one then format it and start over. Other than that maybe someone else has another suggestion.
    Jenneebear23

Answer by Jenneebear23 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2010

• The only thing i can tell you to try is to search for any of the files that are on the hard drive...see if they pop up, and if so go through them and copy them to a compressed zip foloder! that way you have them in two locations...then try to reformat the hard drive...Mine hasnt given me this kind of problem THANKFULY so i dont know what else to try, its kinda hard to think when your not sitting there hands on with it!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2010